Re: artillery destroys light horse?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
      I think he meant the individual riders fleeing rather than the game
      element. He was equating the "destroyed" result to the horsemen being
      dispersed and fleeing the battlefield because they couldn't rally on
      it.

      --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Bob Beattie <beattie@u...> wrote:
      > This would be a fairly rare event. Perhaps if LH were getting into
      the
      > rear of the army with the artillery and the artillery were on a
      flank,
      > the LH might get shot and flee to the side. Artillery seldom moves
      > enough to get into position to shoot the LH off the LH's own end.
      > Still a 400 pace shot with a 500p flee might be enough to get the
      LH
      > off. It's just part of the Rock Paper Scissors aspect of the game.
      >
      > Bob
      > On Jul 31, 2005, at 3:14 PM, mickw54@m... wrote:
      >

      > > If they totally flee, ie leave the battlefield, that equals
      destroyed.

      > > Jonathan <ccoutoftown@y...> wrote:
      > >> right, the flee i buy but not the destruction.

      > >> LH get
      > >> shooting. Why
      > >> too.

      > >> is probably in
      > >> represents the
      > >> again; this
      > >> still under fire.

    • Robert Beattie
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
        At the last Historicon ('05) all available time was scheduled with DBA
        events except Thursday afternoon and early evening. Roland Fricke
        stepped up to fill in that time with some organized open gaming. This
        was very successful.

        People also asked me about doing an early session of the Sunday themes
        for those who cannot stay over Sunday. This is in addition to the
        Sunday event. They said that the Themes gives a good chance for
        historical matching of armies. Others have asked that we have more
        non-tournament/one-one events, that is to say scenario games such as
        the great Chalons game done by the Davids and others such as Nicopolis,
        Sambre, Hydaspes, etc done in past years. Are we getting too tournament
        oriented?

        Both are good ideas. Thursday would be good for any of these -- open
        gaming, themes, or scenario games. I would like to hear from folks who
        attend the con on what they would like to see us do. Also any other
        suggestions for changes are very welcome.
        --------------------
        Bob
        beattie@...
        See you at Fall-in, Nov. 11-13, 2005

      • Robert Koffman
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
          I am new to DBA but have played in one tournament which was open gaming. Any army in the DBA book could be used so, early ancient to medieval was played. It just didn't look right. I attended Historicon and watched several rounds of games ( I did not think I was experienced enough to participate) and enjoyed it. The games were historical match ups with historical battlefields, ie. New Kingdom Eygptians vs. Phillistines etc. It looked good and played well.

          I recommend themed tournaments. Those that put those kinds of games on at Historicon did a good job with the terrain.

          Robert Beattie <beattie@...> wrote:
[...]

          Miniature wargaming Wargaming

          ---------------------------------

        • Bob Beattie
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2005
            Hi Robert
            Glad you stopped by to see the DBA events. If you have ever played a
            game you have experience enough to play. We have some events that had
            people who had only read the rules :) Loaner armies are available.
            Lots of pick up games too, in between sessions. Those are usually
            unhistorical but good for practice.

            For those who want to relive the experience, or see what they missed,
            here are Chris Brantly's pics from the con
            http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/events/Historicon05/index.html

            Bob