Re: Warband Now

  • russcat9
    Message 1 of 20 , May 5, 2005
      Andy

      50 Paces Miniatures (www.50paces.com) stock Corvus Belli, and their
      prices and shipping look okay.

      But if you're sold on the Essex ones, I won't slow you down!

      Will you be posting pix of your HYW English on Fanaticus? Love to see 'em.

      Good luck with the Gauls (make 'em Belgae!!).

      :)
      Cheers
      Paul

      --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Bryant" <andyfbryant@h...> wrote:
      > -****Hi Paul
      >
      > No,at the moment i'm getting alot of problems from Urban mammoth(only
      > part orders arriving and another one late)...add to that the £2.50
      > handling charge that they add(aswell as p+p)!!!!!!
      >
      > Corvus Belli are nice figs,but to up the price and add the extra
      > costs for postage...i live about 500 miles from them on the same
      > little island but you can get them cheaper in the states!!!!!
      >
      > Doesn't make sense to me....also shields are small and it takes alot
      > of work to cut down VVV transfers to fit.
      >
      > Rant over,smiley me again!!!
      >
      > So i'm going for Essex figs....Oh and i've just finished a 100yrs war
      > English dba army...looks lovely(all Essex too)
      >
      > Cheers Andy

    • Andy Bryant
      Message 2 of 20 , May 5, 2005
        ****Hi Paul

        Where are the said company based?????

        As i say i would like to save a bit of time on the shields so i
        think i'll stick with Essex at moment.

        Off course i'll put some pics on fanaticus,you shall be able to
        view them in all their glory(just hope i can win a few games with
        them!)

        Cheers Andy

        --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "russcat9" <snowcat9@h...> wrote:
        > Andy
        >
        > 50 Paces Miniatures (www.50paces.com) stock Corvus Belli, and their
        > prices and shipping look okay.
        >
        > But if you're sold on the Essex ones, I won't slow you down!
        >
        > Will you be posting pix of your HYW English on Fanaticus? Love to
        see 'em.

        > Good luck with the Gauls (make 'em Belgae!!).
        >
        > :)
        > Cheers
        > Paul
        >

        > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Bryant" <andyfbryant@h...> wrote:
        > > -****Hi Paul
        > >
        > > No,at the moment i'm getting alot of problems from Urban mammoth
        (only
        > > part orders arriving and another one late)...add to that the
        £2.50
        > > handling charge that they add(aswell as p+p)!!!!!!
        > >
        > > Corvus Belli are nice figs,but to up the price and add the
        extra
        > > costs for postage...i live about 500 miles from them on the same
        > > little island but you can get them cheaper in the states!!!!!
        > >
        > > Doesn't make sense to me....also shields are small and it takes
        alot
        > > of work to cut down VVV transfers to fit.
        > >
        > > Rant over,smiley me again!!!
        > >
        > > So i'm going for Essex figs....Oh and i've just finished a
        100yrs war
        > > English dba army...looks lovely(all Essex too)
        > >
        > > Cheers Andy

      • russcat9
        Message 3 of 20 , May 5, 2005
          Hi

          Not sure, but looks like USA or Canada from the site.

          Will check out your pix. Love the Fanaticus gallery!

          Cheers
          Paul

          --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Bryant" <andyfbryant@h...> wrote:
          > ****Hi Paul
          >
          > Where are the said company based?????
          >
          > As i say i would like to save a bit of time on the shields so i
          > think i'll stick with Essex at moment.
          >
          > Off course i'll put some pics on fanaticus,you shall be able to
          > view them in all their glory(just hope i can win a few games with
          > them!)
          >
          > Cheers Andy

        • russcat9
          Message 4 of 20 , May 5, 2005
            Hi Tim

            A brave army to start with. I'm a bit of a sucker for Early Franks
            myself, not that different from Old Saxon; they even have 1 element of
            Cv! The Alamanni look nicer though with 3 Bw.

            Now who makes ferocious looking Franks/Alamanni??

            Cheers
            Paul

            --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Tim King" <tc.king@s...> wrote:
            > Hi Paul,
            >
            > I am new to playing DBA and my first army was II/73 Old Saxon. All
            > Warband except a Psiloi. I am 2 and 4 against II/81b but It has been
            > a real learning experience and a lot of fun. I have found that when
            > I win, I win big (4-0 or 4-1) but when I loose, I loose big too. The
            > double ranking works great except when you get flanked by Cavalry.
            > Blades , pikes and spears hate you. Use bad going when faced against
            > cavalry. The pursuit rule can work for you or against you, and gives
            > you the feeling of losing control of you army once the fight begins.
            > I guess to sum up my experiences with warband I would have to say
            > that they are excellent fun and a real challenge.
            >
            > Tim

          • Terry Griner
            Message 5 of 20 , May 5, 2005
              Don't forget to be on the look out for a way to exploit the Wb second
              tactical move to combat/overlap/rear support. My favorite is moving a
              group of Wb forward into contact with the first PIP and then moving an
              end overlapping Wb from that group into a flanking position with the
              second PIP. Another ploy is to have a Wb behind your line, knowing it
              can make two moves in one bound to provide rear support just where
              needed.

              Terry in Spokane

              On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:50:26 -0000 "Tim King" <tc.king@...>
              writes:
              > Hi Paul,
              >
              > I am new to playing DBA and my first army was II/73 Old Saxon. All
              Warband except a Psiloi. I am 2 and 4 against II/81b but It has been a
              real learning experience and a lot of fun. The
              double ranking works great except when you get flanked by Cavalry. Blades
              , pikes and spears hate you. Use bad going when faced against cavalry.
              The pursuit rule can work for you or against you, and gives you the
              feeling of losing control of you army once the fight begins.
            • scribblerm
              Message 6 of 20 , May 5, 2005
                Warbands often are very interesting against historical foes -- not
                always, though.

                Your Saxon vs. Sub-Roman Brits raises an interesting dynamic with Wb
                base depths. It is one of the few cases where the difference between
                15mm and 20mm bases matter.

                A 20mm Wb follows up and stay in contact when it pushes back Ax,
                while a 15mm Wb won't stay in contact with Ax. Now, that may or may
                not be a good thing.

                --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Tim King" <tc.king@s...> wrote:
                > Hi Paul,
                >
                > I am new to playing DBA and my first army was II/73 Old Saxon. All
                > Warband except a Psiloi. I am 2 and 4 against II/81b but It has
                been
                > a real learning experience and a lot of fun. I have found that
                when
                > I win, I win big (4-0 or 4-1) but when I loose, I loose big too.
                The
                > double ranking works great except when you get flanked by Cavalry.
                > Blades , pikes and spears hate you. Use bad going when faced
                against
                > cavalry. The pursuit rule can work for you or against you, and
                gives
                > you the feeling of losing control of you army once the fight
                begins.
                > I guess to sum up my experiences with warband I would have to say
                > that they are excellent fun and a real challenge.
                >
                > Tim

              • Tim King
                Message 7 of 20 , May 5, 2005
                  Terry,

                  Ooohhh, I like that overlap manuever. I haven't tried that.

                  Tim

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 6, 2005
                    Have your rule book open to page 9 in case your opponent hasn't
                    considered it either. :)

                    Terry in Spokane

                    On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:40:29 -0000 "Tim King" <tc.king@...>
                    writes:
                    > Terry,
                    >
                    > Ooohhh, I like that overlap manuever. I haven't tried that.
                  • Henrix
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 7, 2005
                      tom_lee_graves wrote:
                      >I have been playing a Christian Nubian army lately
                      >that has done pretty well.

                      May I ask what miniatures you are using? A friend of mine wanted to do a
                      Christian Nubian DBM army but couldn't find any suitable figures.

                      ---
                      Henrix
                    • tom_lee_graves
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 8, 2005
                        --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Henrix <henrix@b...> wrote:
                        > tom_lee_graves wrote:
                        > >I have been playing a Christian Nubian army lately
                        > >that has done pretty well.
                        >
                        > May I ask what miniatures you are using? A friend of mine wanted to
                        do a
                        > Christian Nubian DBM army but couldn't find any suitable figures.
                        >

                        > ---
                        > Henrix

                        Dear Henrix,

                        They are primarily Essex with an Abyssianian Command stand (with
                        their rifles removed) Chris Brantly also has an example of an
                        Christian Nubian army in Fanaticus Eye Candy (it has the same command
                        stand that I used, but the other figures are a different manufacturer).
                      • Henrix
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 8, 2005
                          Thanks! I'll tell my friend and hope it resparks his interest in DBx! (He
                          really needs a new army!)

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 9, 2005
                            Hi Paul

                            Just put the 100yrs war figs on e-bay so you can have a look at them
                            here.

                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                            ViewItem&category=2641&item=5974516433&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

                            Cheers Andy

                            p.s. send a message to andyfbryant@... and i'll send you a pic
                            of some Gauls in progress,i got inspired with all this talk of
                            warbands.
                          • russcat9
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 9, 2005
                              Hi

                              Checked 'em out. Very nice. You have a good 2ft paint style, nice and
                              vivid. Hope they make you a few quid. Come on HYW Brits - get bidding!!!