Re: elephant recoil technicality

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
      Wouldn't this situation, and a lot of other situations, not cause so
      much discussion and confusion if only the rules had included a few
      simple tables!

      Such a simple device. Pity.

      Tony

      --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Robert Beattie <beattie@u...> wrote:
      > See the outcome rules
      > 1. A recoiling element moves its base depth ... to its rear
      without
      > turning. If it is ELEPHANTS, friends met are destroyed.
      >
      > 2. Recoilers can pass through friends facing in the same direction
      > a clear space immediately behind the first element met, but only if
      > mounted (elephants are mounted) troops recoiling into any friends
      > except Pikes and Elephants.
      >
      > so what happens when a mounted element hits Pikes or Elephants?
      >
      > 3. Friends facing in the same direction are interpenetrated if
      allowed.
      > (Mounted, inc Elephants) are not allowed to interpenetrate
      Elephants.

      > 4. Otherwise they are pushed back unless Elephants or War-wagons.
      So
      > Mounted cannot interpenetrate or push back Elephants.
      >
      > 5. A recoiling element that meets ... friends it cannot pass
      through
      > or push back ... is destroyed.
      >
      > So an Elephant cannot pass through or push back an other element so
      if
      > Elephant meets Elephant it is destroyed.
      >
      > Recoiling Elephant destroys Elephant behind and is itself destroyed
      at
      > moment of impact.
      >
      > Bob
      > beattie@u...
      > On Jul 30, 2004, at 12:35 PM, Alexander Hay wrote:
      >
      > SPEAKING OF ELEPHANTS...
      >
      > I recently played a fellow who had lots of elephants.
      > I beat him because he insisted that when an elephant
      > recoils into another elephant, both elephants are
      > destroyed. I initially thought this was absurd. One
      > elephant should die, but not both. But it didn't take
      > too much to convince me since I had no elephants.
      >
      > Is this true?
      >
      > alex
      >
      > --- tom_lee_graves <tleegraves@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > Mike,
      > >
      > > The answer is no, unless you are playing me.
      > >
      > > Tom
      > >>
      > >> I lost a battle because of forgetting that
      > > technicality, realizing
      > > long
      > >> after we'd picked up the troops. Oh well, live
      > > and learn...I
      > > shouldn't have
      > >> advanced my elephant and elephant general into
      > > that valley
      > > dominated by
      > >> steep hill-occupied auxilia, eh?
      > >>
      > >> Seeya!
      > >> -- Mike Demana
      > >> Check out my travel web page at:
      > > www.worldwidemike.com
      > >> Or my gaming web page:
      > > http://www.geocities.com/mikedemana
      > >>

      > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been
      > > removed]

      > =====
      > Alexander J. Hay III
      > Attorney at Law
      > tel (USA-Toll Free): 877-226-3205 ext 1
      > email: alexanderhay@p..., http://www.squireorg.com/
      >
      > ASSET PROTECTION, TAX REDUCTION AND OFFSHORE INVESTMENTS.
      >
      > Email is an insecure medium. For confidential messages please use
      > hushmail or mailvault. (NOTE: Both systems only works if both
      sender
      > and receiver use the system.) I can also use PGP. Please contact
      me
      > to exchange keys.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Terry Griner
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
        True but remember, one of Phil's original goals in writing DBA was to
        keep the rules as short as possible. While several items are left open
        to interpretation, we do have a relatively cheap set of rules that runs
        only 4 pages when it comes to actually fighting the battle.

        I can remember playing WRG games where we had to dive into the rule book
        every time anyone made a move.

        Terry in Spokane

        On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:40:50 -0000 "Tony" <delyall@...> writes:
        > Wouldn't this situation, and a lot of other situations, not cause so
        much discussion and confusion if only the rules had included a few simple
        tables!

        > Such a simple device. Pity.
      • Ian Thompson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
          The really gun thing is trying to construct that table - especially if you
          try and combine it with combat factors and the combat outcome.

          Cheers, Thomo the Lost
          Thomo's new Hole: http://thomo.coldie.net/
          Mobile: +61 407 259 467
          "A jester unemployed is nobody's fool!"