lament for figs

  • Simon Bargery
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2003
      GB in the UK only do DBA packs 'cos I worked out the composition of the
      armies for their ranges for them.
      They, and I guess quite a few other 25mm manufacturers see DBx as a 15mm
      preserve. They market their stuff to traditional 25mm markets - GB are big
      on WAB and are involved with the WPS and those events. So thier 'marketing'
      is heavily biased towards what they see as their major market sectors.
      I woudl guess almost any reasonable manufacturer woudl put together a DBA
      army if you sent them a list of exactly what was in it, including their
      product codes and quantities.
      I know Essex, Newline vendel and GB are all very responsive to e-mails
      asking for DBA specific stuff. If you're not agressive about wanting stuff
      delivered next day and yo're very specific about exactly what it is you
      require then I would suggest you would meet a pretty high degree of sucess.
      A lot of these guys have figures in 'buckets' and put together 'packs' 'when
      required - hence putting a DBA pack together isn't that hard a deal.

      I would think that you wold have more trouble with those manufacturers who
      pre pack in blisters or under header cards - these figs are probably stocked
      in packs and would need to be broken up. Having said that even GW will make
      up specific army compositions for warmaster if you ask - I know that is
      10mm, but the asking is the key.

      Maybe that wasn't your point - that manufacturers shoudl be advertising this
      stuff - but I think 25mm DBA is a minority sport.
      Si2

      http://www.star.net.uk
    • spocksleftball@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2003
        You make some good points Simon, and your last point of a minor sport is partially due to the lack of support from manufactuerers. I feel that if OG, for example, were to begin selling DBA army packs in 25mm, we'd see alot more 25mm DBA. My reasoning is simple. Other than OG, most manufactuerers don't put up alot of photos of unpainted figs. This is fine if you are confident in what you want and know there products, yet when you are spending $1 or more per fig you want exactly what you want. Also people like me are ultimately lazy shoppers who will buy the Essex or Xystron packs for the same reason they buy McDonald meal deals rather than order items separately.

        My recent experience is telling. I'm in the market for Early Byzantines. I will buy the mounted from OG, as they come 10 to a pack; I'll get 3 packs which will make 6 Cv elements and 6 Lh elements. I will then buy the foot from GB as they sell them in smaller packs. But wait! GB no longer makes Byzantines available in the US, so now I must either pay OG for 30 Skutatio and 30 Psyloi using a fraction of each, or buy some very high end stuff like Dixon and pay nearly $2 per fig (Dixon and OG don't match well either). It is just very clumsy for most gamers who only want 1 or 2 25mm scale armies, and thus prohibitive.

        I have already begun talking with dealers about doing what you suggest. I will shoot an email this afternoon to OG to see if it is possible. Thanks for your imput.

        Wanax