Origins

  • Michael Demana
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      Just a preliminary report about DBA at Origins. I will post more detailed
      info with results, soon (Terry has the Battles from History results, and Jim
      the Open results).

      Anyway, Jim Williams' 15mm Open was a blast. We had 18 participants, if I
      remember correctly. It was won by a DBM crossover whose name I believe was
      Bart Pisarek. I was thinking me and my Khmers were somebody, being 3-0 at
      that point, when he knocked me off. Anytime he had a chance for a kill, he
      won the die roll. When I had a chance, I lost. Not to take anything away,
      he make some gutsy moves that paid off. I think four players ended up being
      4-1, so there was some good playing going on.

      On Saturday, Terry Hollern and my Battles from History didn't fill up for
      the first time in a couple years. We had a great time, though, with 10
      players. The "Year of the Kid" seems to be in full force as 14-year old
      Gunter Eickert was the winner. And here's the kicker: After three rounds,
      all his oppoents were 2-1, and most ended up the tourney 3-1. So no light
      schedule for Gunter -- he beat four quality opponents to win the tourney.

      The Big Battle Arena was not quite the success I had hoped for. I realize
      it is the first year trying it. I had a total of 12 players participate
      throughout the con. I gave away three awards:
      "Genghis Khan" Best Winning Percentage Award - to Steve Smith, who went a
      perfect 3-0.
      "Alexander the Great" Multiple Victories Award - to Greg Crane, who went
      2-1.
      "Charles the Bold" Most Games in a Winning OR Losing Effort - to Jim
      Williams, who played four games.

      Prizes for all the above tournies were donated by:
      Historical Collectibles Associates (five $10 certificates)
      The Tin Soldier (three certificates, $25/$15/$10, I believe)
      Glass City Games (two Osprey books)
      Star Books and Games ($10 certificate)
      The Free Trader (two packs of 15mm Old Glory Numidian Cavalry)
      The Ohio Valley Hoplites (plaque for both the Open and Battles from History,
      plus a half dozen commemorative 25mm Ohio Valley Hoplite figures)
      RJ Bases (six plastic styrene DBA base packs)
      The painted 15mm Numidian army was provided by me and Terry, as we do an
      army each year for our tourney.

      Thanks to all who attended and played!

      Seeya!
      -- Mike Demana
      Check out my travel web page at: http://home.earthlink.net/~mikedemana/
      Or my gaming web page: http://www.geocities.com/mikedemana
    • Stelzone@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2003
        I would like to thank all who ran the Origins DBA games, Mike, Terry, Jim
        well done gentlemen. They were all fun and very competitive.

        And a big thanks to all who played my son in the open, he had fun and all
        were helpful to him, he really enjoyed it.

        And thanks to the whole of the HOT for getting Historicals into Origins, it
        seems to be growing every year and that is a good thing.

        Mike S.

      • James Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2003
          Mike,

          Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed the tournament. That was my goal and I have been fortunate the last few times to get a great bunch of players.

          Jim