Re: [DBA] Kn QK Bd

  • John Hills
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hi

      From what I have read (not much) Aurelian seems to have hidden his
      infantry from the cataphracts and fought them with his cavalry and
      light horse.

      John

      On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:46:45 -0500 John Meunier <jmeunier@...>
      wrote:

      > From: John Meunier <jmeunier@...>
      >
      > Just played three games on the DBAOL with Kn QK Bd.
      >
      > I know it is what the masses demanded, but Mid to Late Romans are so
      > much chum in the water to armies with knights under this rule.
      >
      > Palmyran v. Mid Imp. Roman. That Aurelian must have been one hell of a
      > general, because he wouldn't have won playing DBA.
      >
      > JM

      > Show your style! Choose from 6 great card designs when you
      > apply for Capital One's 9.9% Fixed APR Visa Platinum.

      ----------------------
      John Hills
      j.r.hills@...
      http://freespace.virgin.net/johnr.hills/default.html

      It's never too late for bacon butties!
    • Mike Demana
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
        Hi everyone,

        I guess I am in the middle of the Knight quick-kill blade debate. I agree
        all blade armies are very tough, but then again, I don't like a Knight at
        +3 vs. a Blade at +3, with the knight getting the quick-kill if merely
        beating them. I think blades WILL be speed bumps vs. knights.

        Don't forget, in all our trying to make blades mortal that knights are
        pretty darned tough already! We just made them that much tougher. As for
        being historical, do we really think the African Vandal army is THAT
        much tougher than the Roman one? Or, how about this? Were the Parthians
        able to just line up and ride over Crassus' Roman legions? No, didn't
        they wear them down with missile fire, surround them, then, after their
        morale began to fracture, start to ride them down?

        I guess I have serious reservations about opening this box marked Pandora
        that we have wished upon ourselves. Of course, I think whatever we say,
        it seems that "the Phil" is going to put this in DBA 2000.

        Seeya!
        -- Mike Demana
      • Mike Demana
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
          Hi everyone,

          Wow, I just looked at David's "Camps" section of his web site. It was
          awesome, to say the least. I recommend everyone check it out. The
          Pictish crannog was a great vignette, then I saw the Teutonic Knight
          falling through the ice, and was immediately inspired.

          Great job, David!

          And I just got done doing some camps! (sigh...)

          Seeya!
          -- Mike Demana
        • David KUIJT
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
            On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Mike Demana wrote:

            > I guess I am in the middle of the Knight quick-kill blade debate. I agree
            > all blade armies are very tough, but then again, I don't like a Knight at
            > +3 vs. a Blade at +3, with the knight getting the quick-kill if merely
            > beating them. I think blades WILL be speed bumps vs. knights.

            They'll certainly have to change their fighting style, anyway.

            > Don't forget, in all our trying to make blades mortal that knights are
            > pretty darned tough already! We just made them that much tougher.

            Knights have lots of holes. Bow is the most common one; impetuosity
            is another one; as are Elephants. Impetuosity means that Knights often
            get killed by their own energy, and that they can be sucked into bad going
            (and certain doom). Blades aren't impetuous and don't get QK by anything
            much (Wb are an even fight, much like Kn/Lh, which is why I didn't mention
            Lh in the Kn "holes" above).

            > Were the Parthians
            > able to just line up and ride over Crassus' Roman legions? No, didn't
            > they wear them down with missile fire, surround them, then, after their
            > morale began to fracture, start to ride them down?

            The Parthians were outnumbered about 3-1, and the Romans were defending a
            hill. When the Romans are standing on a hill with Psiloi support the Kn
            _must_ have the QK if they are to have any chance of winning the battle.
            But you are correct, the Cataphracts didn't play much part in that battle,
            because the Romans holed up on the hill, and the Parthians just kept
            attacking with Lh until the Romans were desperate from thirst.

            So my point is that Carrhae is a poor example of why Cataphracts shouldn't
            have QK.

            Somebody else posted that Aurelian (fighting Palmyrans) screened his
            infantry from the cataphracts with his cavalry and light horse. He
            probably had a reason! No DBA general would ever do that without Kn QK on
            Bd.

            DK
          • David KUIJT
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
              On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Mike Demana wrote:

              > Wow, I just looked at David's "Camps" section of his web site. It was
              > awesome, to say the least. I recommend everyone check it out. The
              > Pictish crannog was a great vignette, then I saw the Teutonic Knight
              > falling through the ice, and was immediately inspired.
              >
              > Great job, David!

              Thanks, man.

              I'm actually sorta camped out right now -- I haven't had any good ideas
              for camps recently. I'm working on another snowbound camp for my Post
              Mongol Russians; it's waiting on some more TCS evergreens. At Cold Wars
              (if I get the time to go) I'll be looking at some resin manufacturers for
              a proper Roman fort; nobody has good enough pictures online for me to be
              willing to kick out the $$$ blind, and I don't want to spend a lot of time
              making something if something better exists already and is for sale.

            • jacksond@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
                I think I deleted the address, could you repost it?

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2000
                  On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 jacksond@... wrote:

                  > From: jacksond@...
                  >
                  > I think I deleted the address, could you repost it?

                  The whole page is centered at
                  http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dba.html
                  which includes links to all the below;

                  The camps subpage is at
                  http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dbaCamps/camps.html

                  The 15mm figure review (with pictures) is at
                  http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/miscellania/figreview.html

                  Those are the major parts, anyway.

                • John Hills
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000
                    On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:41:44 -0600 Richard Wright <RICHRITE@...>
                    wrote:

                    > From: "Richard Wright" <RICHRITE@...>
                    >
                    > Wow, the web site is terrific, plus those camps have generated some thoughts
                    > of camp sites quite different than I currently display! Thanks...sure is
                    > worth being on this list for gems like that!!

                    I am currently trying to resist the urge to go home and make a Wars of
                    the Roses camp featuring an heir being drowned in a barrel...

                    John

                    ----------------------
                    John Hills
                    j.r.hills@...
                    http://freespace.virgin.net/johnr.hills/default.html

                    It's never too late for bacon butties!
                  • Richard Wright
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000
                      Wow, the web site is terrific, plus those camps have generated some thoughts
                      of camp sites quite different than I currently display! Thanks...sure is
                      worth being on this list for gems like that!!

                      Rich
                      STL, Mo

                      > > I think I deleted the address, could you repost it?
                      >
                      > The whole page is centered at
                      > http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dba.html
                      > which includes links to all the below;
                      >
                      > The camps subpage is at
                      > http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dbaCamps/camps.html
                      >
                      > The 15mm figure review (with pictures) is at
                      > http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/miscellania/figreview.html
                      >
                      > Those are the major parts, anyway.

                      > @Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
                      > Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data. Install
                      > your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
                      > Click here.

                    • David KUIJT
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000
                        On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, John Hills wrote:

                        > I am currently trying to resist the urge to go home and make a Wars of
                        > the Roses camp featuring an heir being drowned in a barrel...

                        OOO!!! What a great idea!

                      • ken.blackley@agric.gov.ab.ca
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000

                          > Wow, the web site is terrific, plus those camps have generated some thoughts
                          > of camp sites quite different than I currently display! Thanks...sure is
                          > worth being on this list for gems like that!!

                          I am currently trying to resist the urge to go home and make a Wars of
                          the Roses camp featuring an heir being drowned in a barrel...

                          **** Old Glory makes a great 28mm WOTR pack called "Exectution Scene". It has
                          an executioner, a guy with his head on the block, a guy reading the charges, a
                          prisoner, guard etc. I used the pack plus some spare figures, a hill and a tent
                          from my sons' "Siege" game to make three nice DBM baggage elements, or a DBA
                          camp. It's pretty pedestrian compared to David's spectacular stuff, but I like
                          it . . .

                          Ken
                        • Richard Wright
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3, 2000
                            I have some "Doll furnature" that has a large barrell, now some ladies being
                            oggled by a few Vikings while they are scrubbing down would be a neat scene!
                            What else would a BAD Viking do, anyway...but watch?

                            Rich
                            STL, Mo