Re: DBA Blades

  • Mike Demana
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2000
      Hi everyone,

      I wouldn't sign the praises of blades too much. They are very vulnerable
      to cavalry armies. I faced two Viking armies in the Advance the Colors
      '99 tourney with my Sassanid Persians and beat them both -- one very badly.

      If you've got Cav, and he's got blade, you are even up -- 3 vs. 3. Except
      you are much faster than him and able to get on flanks with little trouble.

      Now, foot armies, well, I agree. They have definite problems with blades.

      Seeya!
      -- Mike Demana
    • Jim Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2000
        I also went against two Viking armies at Advance the Colors with my Mongols.
        I split the battles. Both were closer than I thought they would be. I had
        seen what the Bd armies could do. Surprisingly, if my memory doesn't fail
        me, I inflicted most of the enemies losses with the LH. Ya gotta love
        mobility!!

        Jim Williams

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2000
          On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Jim Williams wrote:

          > I also went against two Viking armies at Advance the Colors with my Mongols.
          > I split the battles. Both were closer than I thought they would be.

          Wow, you masochist...er, I mean brave man! Mongols in DBA. We've found
          in our games they are the most consistently underperforming army. An army
          of mostly all light horse just has too much trouble in normal, 12 vs. 12 DBA.

          > Surprisingly, if my memory doesn't fail
          > me, I inflicted most of the enemies losses with the LH. Ya gotta love
          > mobility!!

          Yes, in one of our big battle DBA campaigns (based on Colleen McCullough's
          "First Man in Rome" series), the Numidians gave the Romans quite a tough
          time. Factors of 2 vs. 3, with no death if you recoil, isn't that bad.
          And if they leave you a flank open...

          Seeya!
          -- Mike