Re: DBA Artillery

  • Ken Blackley
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 1997
      Steven M Goode wrote:

      > From: Steven M Goode <gromit+@...>
      >
      > Agreed. Well, maybe not the 1 vs. 6 thing, but Artillery is WAY too
      > powerful at the moment.

      **** Well, I admit that explode on a 1 to 6 shot is a bit much, but it's fun. And
      at least one Scottish king would be sympathetic to the idea.:->

      > (2) Marian Romans are the absolute king of the battlefield becasue of all
      > > those Bd. Without a knightly quick kill, these guys are unbeatable. The
      > > Romans are terrors in DBA and patsies in DBM, all becasue of the Knight's
      > > quick-kill.
      >
      > I thought 2.0 was going to fix this?

      *****It will. I believe there is a knightly quick-kill in 2.2. It's justified by
      game balance alone, IMHO.

      > > (4) Something must be done to prevent bows and Art from blasting into and
      > > through woods. It's downright silly . . .
      >
      > Also agreed. Maybe they should be able to shoot elements that are at
      > the edge of the woods closest to the shooters, though.

      A simple line-of-sight rule would work, IMHO.

      Ken (Snowflake in DBAonline terms!)
    • David KUIJT
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2000
        On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Steven M Goode wrote:

        > > (1) Having artillery fire in every bound with a factor of four is
        > > unrealistically deadly beyond
        > > belief.

        > Agreed. Well, maybe not the 1 vs. 6 thing, but Artillery is WAY too
        > powerful at the moment.

        > > (2) Marian Romans are the absolute king of the battlefield becasue of all
        > > those Bd. Without a knightly quick kill, these guys are unbeatable. The
        > > Romans are terrors in DBA and patsies in DBM, all becasue of the Knight's
        > > quick-kill.
        >
        > I thought 2.0 was going to fix this?

        The most recent version of 2.0 fixes both of those problems. Kn get a QK
        on Bd, and Arty (and WWg) fire only on their own bound, and only if they
        did not move or pivot. Also, Arty and WWg (like El) cost +1 pip to move.

        I don't play Bd armies in DBAOL because of the lack of QK by Knights; not
        much fun when there is no challenge. Pretty much the same for WWg except
        in Hussite Civil Wars (which are fun).