Cannae

  • Patrick_Laffey@hc-sc.gc.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2000
      G'Day All

      This follows on Dan Higdon comments on staging a historical rematch between Rome
      and Carthage in particular Cannae. I would like to share with you what I have
      tried. First I'll describe the OB then the special rules, last will be my
      comments.

      Romans 2 Cav, 10 Bd. This represents the fact that the triarii and velites
      didn't seem to have a role in this battle.

      Carthage 3 Cav, 2 Lh, 5 Aux, 2 Sp, 1 Ps.

      Rules
      As in DBA except for the following.
      1. All Recoils and follow-ups are 100 paces
      2. Romans must follow-up all recoils or breakoffs.
      3. Romans Blades get a plus 1 for a supporting rank of Blades facing ... etc.
      However, if the front Blade is killed in combat the rear supporting Blades is
      not killed, it automatically advances to replace the killed Blade but it does
      not fight this bound.
      4. Treat the Carthaginian Aux as superior. That is if their total is less than
      their enemy then add one to their total.
      5. Hannibal is confined to one of the Cav (were he belongs). <g>
      6. Any Carthaginian within 300 paces of Hannibal gets a plus one in combat.
      7. Balearic slinger (Ps) get to shoot. Range is 200 Paces combat factors are +3
      vs mounted, +2 vs foot. Note if Roman total higher when shot at, the Roman
      advance 100paces toward Ps. (ie the Romans are ticked off).
      8. Romans roll 1D6 for movement.
      9. Carthaginian role 2D4 for movement or 1D4 if Hannibal is in combat in the
      previous bound.

      Comments.
      1. This seems to work when trying to draw the Romans toward the Carthaginian
      line, especially when the Lh or Ps breakoff.
      2. Romans are very serious about killing the Carthaginians therefore when
      recoils happen or breakoff the Romans follow-up.
      3. Here I am trying to encourage the Roman player to "bunchup" and to try to
      punch through the Carthaginian centre. Otherwise the Roman player would just
      spread the 10 Blades 'coast to coast'. Having a plus 6 before the die roll vs
      either a three for the Aux (or a four if Hannibal is close by) gives some
      incentive to double up.
      4. If the Aux are not treated as superior (borrowing a DBM term) then they die
      real fast.
      5. Hannibal was an officer who commanded rather than leading the charge,
      compared with the Roman Consuls.
      6. Hannibal used his presence to encourage his troops therefore he is useful
      for reinforcing the line especial the Aux, without actually taking part in hand
      to hand combat. It also give the Carthaginian player some tough decisions to
      make as to where Hannibal will go.
      7. This hasn't made much difference to the game but gives a bit of flavour. The
      Romans usually march up and whack the Ps to the next kingdom.
      8. Command and control. There was nothing remarkable about the Romans
      maneuvering on the field so I just left this as is.
      9. Now this is the interesting part. Carthage relied on maneuver. The 2D4
      gives an expected 1.5 pips per turn advantage over the Romans to the
      Carthaginians. I thought of using a 1D8 but the result was to inconsistent,
      whereas the 2D4 gives rolls that are clustered around 5. This is similar to the
      use of the average dice, which I also thought of using. The use of the 2D4
      gives a nice feel for maneuvering. Also, having the Carthaginians drop to 1D4
      if Hannibal is in combat force the Carthaginian player to only charge with
      Hannibal if it is really critical. Note that the Carthaginians have one more
      element than the Romans but there is a heavy penalty if they use it.

      This seems to work well. If the Romans go for one line of 10 blades then the
      Carthaginian player can hold the infantry back and use the mounted to break the
      line up and piecemeal destroy the Romans. If the Romans double up on the blades
      and hold their Cav back then they stand a very good chance of smashing the
      Carthaginian infantry.

      I was trying to get both sides to play in a historical manner without confining
      them to a fix setup and a fixed way of playing.

      Somebody said that DBA is a good toolbox and I agree.
      Cheers
      Patrick
    • Peter O'Brien
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2000
        hi Patrick-i wonder could u help me with a query re Carthaginian inf and cav
        shields-colours and any patterns on them?
        also roman shield colours for inf /cav-i have patterns for romans
        many thanks Peter
        ps liked your dba cannae will try it once armies painted up