Re: [DBA] Tournament element selection

  • David & Robin
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1 4:11 AM
      Despite my long argument against the idea, on first reading I thought "That sounds like fun, why not?" I also was a bit surprised that tournaments weren't run that way already. It was only when I began thinking about what I saw as the implications of being allowed to rebuild your army between rounds that I didn't like the idea.

      This is likley one that will require some heavy playtesting to see what happens with real gamers. According to the "Totaly Useless Facts About DBA Armies" article on Fanaticus the number of elements available ranges from a low of 12 to a high of 30. Quite a spread. The average is a quite reasonable 14, but 4-5 have 24 or more elements so I'm not sure how reliable the average is a measure of fairness.

      I'll be interested to see what others think,

      --dave

    • andrechin2000 <attilio.andreazza@tin.it>
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1 1:05 PM
        In Italy the possibility to change the options from one game
        to another is considered so intriguing and so many player asked for
        it that in many tournements this is accepted: players may choose
        different options from game to game and must
        write down their option choice before dicing for aggression.

        Personally I would agree with that in an open tournement (like
        was the Euro Cup).

        In a themed tournement, I think DK's view is the right
        way to play "historically": I agree with all his examples and it is
        easy to provide more. Moreover in themed tournements players
        know in advance their likely opposition and I think the skill
        of choosing the best army composition before the tournement should be
        more rewarding than just choosing a transformer army.

        Attilio
      • Bill <paws.sec@arsenalfc.net>
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 2 12:36 PM
          Well the ability to change composition does potentially give some
          armies a huge advantage. An army that can change radically would have
          the opportunity to pick the types required to counter its opponents
          fixed choice.

          --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, BOB <beattie@u...> wrote:
          > Has anyone thought about allowing players in a Tournament to change
          army
          > composition as they go from round to round. Not to different
          armies but
          > just different elements from those allowed. Once players know what
          army
          > the enemy has, before terrain selection, they pick their specific
          elements
          > they think would best match up with that enemy. Write on a card
          and reveal
          > when setting up. Maybe after terrain selection. Consider that
          each game
          > is a new campaign, the generals would draw on their best army to
          fight the
          > enemy. They would pick the best army for the terrain they would be
          > entering.
          >
          > I do not know why Phil has made this restriction. Consider Don's
          Bactrian
          > Greeks II/36(a)
          > 1x3Kn (Gen), 4x3/4Kn, 7x2LH
          >
          > is very different from
          > 1x3Kn (Gen), 1x3/4Kn, 2x2LH, 4x4Pk, 2x3/4Ax, 1x2Ps or El, 1x2Ps or
          3Bw

          > Yet a player would have to stick with one or the other for all
          games.

          > Much of an army's value is lost by having to stick to the same
          format.

          > any thoughts? This might be worth an experimental event at
          Historicon. We