Re: A question?

  • paulbgau
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2002
      I have always used the actual route. If you just measure start and end
      you ignore issues of inter-penetration.

      eg. all same side no enemy unit

      BdBdBd
      BwBwBw|BwBwBw|BwBwBw

      after moving

      BwBwBw|BwBwBw|BwBwBw
      BdBdBd

      This is not possible as the Bd cannot inter-penetrate the Bw during
      tactical movement and does not have enough movement to move aroung the
      flank if you measure the route - but start point to end point no
      problem !!!!

      Paul

      --- In DBA@y..., "mike.netlegend" <mike.netlegend@n...> wrote:

      > from the rules under TACTICAL MOVE DISTANCES, page 9 "...distance
      between the starting point of any front base corner....and that
      corner's final position..." so a straight line.

      > Mike Powell
      >
      > My links at http://www.ukwargames.co.uk

      Service.

    • Craig S. Artl
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2002
        Your example is a bit different than the one presented originally. While
        the correct method is to measure start point to end point using the front
        corner that travels the farthest, you still do have to have a 1 base width
        opening to move through other elements. You can't just hop over other
        elements without that opening.

        Craig

        I have always used the actual route. If you just measure start and end
        you ignore issues of inter-penetration.

        eg. all same side no enemy unit

        BdBdBd
        BwBwBw|BwBwBw|BwBwBw

        after moving

        BwBwBw|BwBwBw|BwBwBw
        BdBdBd

        This is not possible as the Bd cannot inter-penetrate the Bw during
        tactical movement and does not have enough movement to move aroung the
        flank if you measure the route - but start point to end point no
        problem !!!!

        Paul

        --- In DBA@y..., "mike.netlegend" <mike.netlegend@n...> wrote:

        > from the rules under TACTICAL MOVE DISTANCES, page 9 "...distance
        between the starting point of any front base corner....and that
        corner's final position..." so a straight line.

        > Mike Powell
        >
        > My links at http://www.ukwargames.co.uk

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • BOB
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
          Do not assume that an element is a solid mass, or something that moves like
          a marching band, all left/right faces and about faces.

          Phil says that troops move as individuals within the element. This is well
          stated in Hordes of the Thing, page 67.
          "This method of measuring single element moves is a simplification to
          remove the necessity of taking into account intermediate turns and wheels,
          and may result in some parts of an element moving through a little more
          than the element's maximum move distance. It it is based on the assumption
          that the individuals forming an element do not necessarily maintain a
          constant relationship to each other during the move, and that some may move
          faster to complete the manoeuvre."

          I have likened this to an amoeba, the element flows from one position to
          another. Thus the move of the Bd from behind the Bd to along side the Bd
          in front is legal

          BdBdBd1
          BdBdBd2

          BdBdBd1BdBdBd2

          True, you cannot move one element completely through another as show below.
          But if there is _space to move through_, you can measure the line from the
          corner's start to the corner's end. You do not need to measure the actual
          route.

          Bob
          beattie@...

          --On Monday, December 2, 2002 3:04 AM +0000 paulbgau
          <paul.garnham@...> wrote:

          > I have always used the actual route. If you just measure start and end
          > you ignore issues of inter-penetration.
          >
          > eg. all same side no enemy unit
          >
          > BdBdBd
          > BwBwBw|BwBwBw|BwBwBw
          >
          > after moving
          >
          > BwBwBw|BwBwBw|BwBwBw
          > BdBdBd
          >
          > This is not possible as the Bd cannot inter-penetrate the Bw during
          > tactical movement and does not have enough movement to move aroung the
          > flank if you measure the route - but start point to end point no
          > problem !!!!
          >

          > Paul
          >

          > --- In DBA@y..., "mike.netlegend" <mike.netlegend@n...> wrote:
          >>
          >> from the rules under TACTICAL MOVE DISTANCES, page 9 "...distance
          > between the starting point of any front base corner....and that
          > corner's final position..." so a straight line.
          >>
          >> Mike Powell
          >>
          >> My links at http://www.ukwargames.co.uk

        • BOB
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
            Remember that an element can move through a space equal to its own depth,
            not necessarily its width.

            Bob

            --On Sunday, December 1, 2002 9:21 PM -0600 "Craig S. Artl"

          • Terry Griner
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2002
              True, you cannot move one element completely through another as show
              below.
              But if there is _space to move through_, you can measure the line from
              the
              corner's start to the corner's end. You do not need to measure the actual

              route.

              Bob
              beattie@...

              TWG: It is my understanding that in the example below, the Bd could pass
              through a gap at least as wide as it's own base depth, IF such a gap
              existed between any two of the three Bw. IF there was such a gap, the
              distance moved would be that traveled by the front corner of the Bd that
              moved the farthest.

              Terry