Gesher Galicia's New Video Portal: "Using the New Gesher Galicia Website" ready for viewing!

  • tony hausner
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2013
      fyi

      From: pweisberger@...
      Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 18:54:11 -0700

      Gesher Galicia is pleased to announce our new video portal which can
      be accessed from our home page (http://www.geshergalicia.org) or
      directly through this link:

      http://www.geshergalicia.org/videos/

      This page is the new home for Galician research and historical videos,
      including presentations at conferences and JGS meetings worldwide on
      Galician research topics.  The first video we have posted is a
      presentation by Brooke Schreier Ganz, which took place on August 5,
      2013 at the IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy in
      Boston.  The title is "Using the New Gesher Galicia Website to
      Research Towns and Families," and you can view it streaming or
      download the video to your computer.  Running time is about 75
      minutes.

      This video provides a a magical genealogical tour of Gesher Galicia's
      newly re-designed website, which debuted in January 2013.  The site is
      a one-stop resource for people interested in researching their
      families and ancestral towns from the former Austro-Hungarian province
      of Galicia, which is today split up between southeastern Poland and
      western Ukraine. The site features new content and resources for 400+
      Galician towns and 2700+ Jewish Galician families. It also has nearly
      100 searchable online articles and 50+ full PDF issues from almost two
      decades of "The Galitzianer", Gesher Galicia's long-running quarterly
      publication about Galician Jewish life. Learn how to do productive
      searches on our All Galicia Database, which has 243,166 records from
      87 different data sources, covering birth, death, marriage and divorce
      records to phonebooks, school and landowner records and explore are
      archival records inventory page of 1700+ maps, landowner and tax
      records from Galician towns, now being transcribed and put online for
      free searches.

      We hope to add a variety of videos to this site over the coming
      months, including those in our "Voices of the Shoah" project.  In the
      meantime, if you are curious about the ins and outs of navigating the
      site, which was designed by Brooke, this video tour should help get
      you started.

      Enjoy!