Re: [CzortkowResearchGroup] ukraine visits

  • Sara Mages
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15 8:30 AM

      Hi Tony,

      There were 3 Jewish cemeteries in Chortkov.

      http://www.iajgs.org/cemetery/ukraine/chortkov.html

      Here is more information about CHORTKOV I - the ancient cemetery

      http://www.fjc.ru/communities/news.asp?AID=291913&cid=87148&NewsType=80052

      On the grounds is the tombstone of the Admor David Moshe Friedman

      CHORTKOV II is on top of a hill across from the bus station.

      CHORTKOV III is inside the Christian cemetery.  Look for this gate

      http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/graphics/chortkov_25.jpg

      Here are more photos

      http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/sl_czortkow_cemetery_photos.htm

      The building of the great synagogue is still standing

      http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/sl_czortkow_town_photos2.htm

      Here is a link to a Chortkov website in Hebrew  http://www.chortkow.org.il/

      On the right side there are a number of blue links. The second link from the top is

      History and Connections. At the bottom of the page you can see a photo

      of the third cemetery taken in 2008. The last link is Tourist Information with a current city map.

      Click on top where you see 2008, that link will take you to a page of photos taken on that trip. The fifth link is dedicated to families from Chortkov. Under the letter Hay,

      the first family is Hausner.

      There is also an interesting small museum in Chortkov.

      Let me know if you have any questions.

       Sara  Mages