Cadastral maps

  • tony hausner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2012
      here is important news about the cadastral maps project from Gesher Galicia.  The information about skala is incorrect, in that gesher galica does have at least one of the maps.  Nevertheless, this is wonderful that this new resource is now available online. Many thanks to Pamela, Brooke and Jay.

      Subject: Gesher Galicia launches the "Map Room" - a virtual portal to cadastral maps
      From: Pamela Weisberger <pweisberger@...>
      Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 21:23:06 -0700

      Gesher Galicia is pleased to announce the launch of the Gesher Galicia
      Map Room!

      This new web page is a spin-off of our Cadastral Map & Landowner
      Records Project and can be found here:

      We began this project in 2007 with the goal of acquiring maps and
      indexing land and homeowner records from the former Austro-Hungarian
      province of Galicia, now Poland and Ukraine. These records would
      function as an adjunct to traditional genealogical resources, being
      especially useful when no vital records exits for a town. They include the
      names of landowners and homeowners and provide details ranging from
      businesses in the market square that your ancestors might have owned to
      the fields they tilled, and taverns, mills and inns that they leased or
      operated. Many names are written directly on to these maps, and used in
      conjunction with the information found on vital records, you may be able
      to identify the exact place in a village where your family once lived.

      Maps for the following places are currently available in the Map Room:
      Belz, Bohorodczany, Brody, Bukaczowce, Chodorow, Dobromil,
      Grzymalow, Korolowka, Kazimierz, Krakow, Lancut, Lwow (Lviv, Lemberg),
      Nienadowa, Podhajce, Polupanowka, Przemysl, Rohatyn, Romanowe Siolo,
      Ropczyce, Skala, Usciedzko, Nowy Wisnicz, Zborow, and Zurawno.  Many
      more are in the pipeline and are coming soon!

      There are also specialty maps, including a 1939 map showing the
      voivodeships of Krakow, Lwow, Stanislawow, and Tarnopol, with the
      administrative districts highlighted in a four-color scheme. This map
      provides and easy way to identify smaller villages surrounding a main
      town. There is also a 1799 map of the third partition of Poland, a 1941
      map of the Lwow Jewish ghetto and Cram's Railway System Atlas map of
      the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy from 1901.

      The interface is easy: scroll down to see the maps in alphabetical order.
      Click on a title or  thumbnail to enlarge the map and navigate using your
      mouse. Click on the zoom bar on the left to get a closer view. The initial
      overview shows you how the pages appear when stitched together and
      reflects the challenges in bringing these maps to life online. In their
      original size, many are huge, often covering an area of of four feet by six
      feet. They must be scanned in small sections to provide the extremely
      high resolution necessary to view the smallest detail as sketched on the

      Is your town is part of the Cadastral Map & Landowner Records Project?
      Search the project inventory here:

      A list of all towns in the project now can be found at the bottom of the
      home page in alphabetical order. (Due to spelling variations in the Polish,
      German, Ukrainian and Yiddish versions of the town names, checking this
      list may prove helpful.)  If Gesher Galicia has inventoried your town this
      search engine will show you the maps and records that exist in the
      archive, along with information on acquisitions. Once digitized, map
      images are put in the queue to be "stitched" together so they can be
      uploaded. This is an ongoing process and our goal is to provide maps for
      many different time periods in the life of a town or shtetl. Acquired
      landowner (along with voter and school) records are indexed, with the
      results added to the All Galicia Database at:

      As described by Brian J. Lenius, author of "The Genealogical Gazetteer of
      Galicia," "Three distinct property land surveys were conducted for all of
      Galicia during the Austrian period of the 18th and 19th centuries. The
      Austrian Stable Cadastral Survey of the 1830s to 1860s consisted of
      records and extremely detailed maps showing the smallest parcels of land,
      individual yards, houses, barns, roads, field plots, synagogues and even
      large trees. At least three versions of these maps were created at the time
      including a field sketch, a preliminary drafted version and the Cadastral
      Map in full color. At least one or more versions of these maps still exist
      for most villages." This ongoing research enables you not only to add to
      the genealogy of your family, but to create a genealogy for a specific
      house, following its inhabitants over a hundred years.

      Gesher Galicia would like to acknowledge and thank Jay Osborn, who was
      instrumental in designing the Map Room site and is responsible for
      tackling the challenging process of stitching the maps together and
      creating the interface by which researchers can view them. We'd also like
      to thank Brian Lenius, Alexander Dunai and Natalie Dunai, who copied,
      photographed or scanned these maps, Logan Kleinwaks, who also
      contributed maps along with the other donors and international libraries
      who provided many of the "specialty" maps you see here. Also thanks to
      our AGD web designer, Brooke Schreier Ganz who created the template
      for the page.  If you have a map that you think would be of interest to our
      research group and belongs on our site, please contact me. We welcome
      all contributions to this effort.

      If your town is not yet part of the project, it is because it has not yet been
      funded. To join the project, Gesher Galicia requires $250 in start-up
      funds, after which GG matches that amount with an additional $250. (This
      amount can be donated by one individual, or several researchers can pool
      resources to achieve the total.) Once a project is established, we inventory
      the fonds of various archives that may hold records for your town and
      then prioritize the acquisition of maps and records based on funding and
      anticipated costs. Note that  while the Map Room and All Galicia Database
      are free for everyone to use, if you contribute a minimum of $25 to the
      initial project when it starts you will get a password to view all the
      original documents for your town. If a project has already been
      established and you now wish to view the original record images, a
      contribution of $50 is required. For more specific information, please
      contact me after you have searched the inventory page to see the status
      of your town project -- if one already exists -- or to inquire about
      starting a new project. The archives are currently closed for the summer
      vacation, but the project will resume in early September.

      Again, kudos to everyone involved in the creation of this virtual map
      repository, which is sure to enhance your Galician family history research.
      If you have success using this resource, please let us know!

      Pamela Weisberger
      President & Research Coordinator
      Gesher Galicia

      safe ss facebook: http://tinyurl.com/49294zu