ukraine visits

  • tony hausner
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2010
      as previously mentioned, I will be visiting towns in the ukraine in june. would appreciate advice for czortkow and mielnitsa.

      what if any jewish places are there in these towns, jewish cemeteries, former synagogues, etc.

      please let me know. thanks

      cell: 301-641-0497
      skype: thausner
      on facebook and twitter
      new blog: healthreformaction.blogspot.com

    • Sara Mages
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2010

        Hi Tony,

        There were 3 Jewish cemeteries in Chortkov.

        http://www.iajgs.org/cemetery/ukraine/chortkov.html

        Here is more information about CHORTKOV I - the ancient cemetery

        http://www.fjc.ru/communities/news.asp?AID=291913&cid=87148&NewsType=80052

        On the grounds is the tombstone of the Admor David Moshe Friedman

        CHORTKOV II is on top of a hill across from the bus station.

        CHORTKOV III is inside the Christian cemetery.  Look for this gate

        http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/graphics/chortkov_25.jpg

        Here are more photos

        http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/sl_czortkow_cemetery_photos.htm

        The building of the great synagogue is still standing

        http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Suchostaw/sl_czortkow_town_photos2.htm

        Here is a link to a Chortkov website in Hebrew  http://www.chortkow.org.il/

        On the right side there are a number of blue links. The second link from the top is

        History and Connections. At the bottom of the page you can see a photo

        of the third cemetery taken in 2008. The last link is Tourist Information with a current city map.

        Click on top where you see 2008, that link will take you to a page of photos taken on that trip. The fifth link is dedicated to families from Chortkov. Under the letter Hay,

        the first family is Hausner.

        There is also an interesting small museum in Chortkov.

        Let me know if you have any questions.

         Sara  Mages