cadastral maps

  • tony hausner
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2011

      see borschiv and chortkiv

      Subject: Gesher Galicia Cadastral Map & Landowner Records Project - 2011
      From: Pamela Weisberger <pweisberger@...>
      Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:34:59 -0700

      Dear Galitizian Researchers:

      Phase 5 of Gesher Galicia's Cadastral Map & Landowner Records Project
      will begin in late May when Brian Lenius returns to Ukraine to
      continue work at the Lviv Historical Archive. Below is a Q & A
      explaining the project.  Please read through it thoroughly and then
      contact me if you have questions.

      How can I add my town or village to this project?

      We are now accepting new towns that are currently either in Ukraine or
      are today in Poland, but very close to the Ukrainian border, for the
      inventory stage.  You need to be able to provide the town coordinates
      and the administrative district, since many Galician towns had similar
      or identical names.

      How do I find out if my town has already been inventoried?

      At the bottom of this page is a list of all the towns that have
      already been inventoried during the four years of this project.  If
      your town name is there, go to our online inventory database to view
      the types of records we've identified:

      http://www.jewishgen.org/galicia/cadastral_maps_and_landowners_project/records.php

      Enter your town name or the first few letters if you are uncertain
      about the spelling.  If your town is part of the project the name
      should appear in the "place" column (not the A.D. column) with
      listings of items held by the archive.  There is a legend at the top
      of the page which shows which records have been acquired (meaning we
      have obtained photocopies, digital images, or both) and which records
      were examined, but found not to contain genealogical information.

      What if my town has already been inventoried but you haven't gotten
      any records yet?  Will you be getting more maps or records during
      phase 5?

      It's important to check our database to view the status of your town.
      In some cases Brian ordered several maps and record books for towns to
      report on their contents.  In cases where no genealogical data was
      found, the items were not copied.  In that case, we order additional
      books on subsequent trips.

      How can I view the records and maps you have acquired?

      If you were a contributor to the project -- and have not yet received
      notification about how to access these records online -- please
      contact me.  The images are housed on a password-protected site and
      you will be given information on how to log in.  Remember that the
      record books are often a hundred pages or more, but not yet indexed so
      researchers must read through every entry individually. Maps consisted
      of up to 80 or more pages or sections.  GG is in the process of
      "stitching" these pieces together to form a whole.  At that point the
      maps will go online.

      Will the indexes and map images be free for anyone to search once they
      go online?

      Yes -- once the indexing of the information in these records is
      completed the database will be freely available to all, but we must
      restrict access to the document images so as not to compromise our
      work in these archives. The maps will also eventually be posted on a
      site where you can zoom in to view details more clearly.  To view
      existing indexes (which include landsmanschaften, homeowner, school
      and phone records)  for the following towns--Boryslaw, Drohobycz,
      Joaworow, Kolomea, Nadworna, Sniatyn, Solotvina, Uroz, Zbaraz, go to:
      http://www.jewishgen.org/galicia/databases/index.php

      What can I learn from cadastral maps and land records?

      You can learn the house and parcel numbers that belonged to your
      family.  You can chart who their neighbors were.  You can trace
      inheritance patterns of how land was handed down through generations.
      You can find out how much your ancestors paid in tax and what kinds of
      buildings they had on their land.

      Keep in mind that these are "community records" with a mixture of
      Jewish and non-Jewish names.  In towns like Kolomea and Brody, for
      example, there are many Jewish names.  In smaller towns, not as many,
      but it is likely that if your relatives lived in these towns you will
      find information about them and the houses they resided in or the
      parcels they held.  The Feldskizzen (field sketch) maps often have
      names written directly onto them.  The full color cadastral maps show
      details like orchards, tobacco fields, vineyards, vegetable gardens,
      Jewish cemeteries and synagogue, bridges, stone, farm and public
      buildings.  If you want to embark on a "House Number Research Project"
      you can chart the "genealogy" of a home over a period of time by
      merging information from vital records with landowner documents.  For
      more information on this kind of project go to:
      http://www.jewishgen.org/galicia/ZborowHouseNo.html

      Continuing research & voter records:

      As part of phase 5, we also are acquiring maps from the Ternopil
      archives, where many of the color maps are held and will be expanding
      this project to include voter records, another valuable genealogical
      resource.  For new inventory towns and continuing towns, we may also
      add the acquisition of voter records which date from the mid 18th
      century through the early 20th century and contain the voter's name
      (men and women), age, house number, how long one had resided in the
      town, and occupation.  These records can be extremely useful where few
      or no vital records exist.

      Your research only seems to be in Ukraine.  When will you be covering
      towns in Galician Poland?

      We have recently obtained maps for Krakow, Kazimierz (1848,1900) and
      Podgorze (1847) which will go online shortly.  Research in Poland is
      more costly than in Ukraine, but we are planning to branch out these
      activities to Polish archives soon.  If you are interested in this
      research in Poland, contact me.
      I'm interested!  How soon do you need to hear from me?

      What is the deadline?

      The window to add new towns to the inventory stage of phase 5 is now.
      Please make contact asap.

      If you have written to me about your town and have not yet received an
      answer, I apologize!  Please contact me again as some emails may have
      gone astray.

      Thanks to all Galitizianers for your support!

      Pamela Weisberger
      President & Research Coordinator
      Gesher Galicia
      Santa Monica, CA
      pweisberger@...
      http://www.GesherGalicia.org

      List of Towns - Inventoried Already or Newly Added:

      So far we have two new towns already added to phase 5 for
      inventorying:  Gankovsty/Hankowce  and Bolszowce/Bolshivtsi.  If you
      are researching these towns, please contact me.

      Below is a list of towns that have been inventoried thus far.  Records
      and maps have been obtained for many of these.  Because of duplicative
      names, please check our online database to see which administrative
      district these towns are in to make sure they are "yours."  Database
      is here:

      http://www.jewishgen.org/galicia/cadastral_maps_and_landowners_project/records.php

      BEREZHANY
      BIBRKA
      BIRKY MALI
      BOHDANIVKA
      BOHORDCHANY
      BOLEKHIV
      BORSHCHIV
      BORYSLAV AND DROHOBYCH
      BRODY
      BUCHACH
      BUKACHIVTSI
      BURSHTYN
      CHEREMKHIV
      CHERNIV
      CHORNOLIZTSI
      CHORTKIV
      CHORTOVETS'
      DELIATYN
      DOBROMYL'
      DORA
      HALYCH
      HLYNYANY
      HORODENKA
      HOROZHANKA
      HRYMALIV
      HVIZDETS
      KALUSH
      KAMIONKA STRUMYLOVA
      KHODOROV
      KLEVANIVKA
      KNIAHNYCHI
      KOLOMYIA
      KOPYCHYNTSI
      KOROLIVKA
      KOSIV
      KROPIVNIK
      KRYSTYNOPIL'
      KUDOBYNTSI
      KULYKIV (RADZIECHOW)
      KULYKIV (ZOLKKIEW)
      LANCHYN
      LIASHKY HORISHNI
      LISOK? LISKO
      MAHERIV
      MANASTRYS'KA
      MOSTISKA
      MYKOLAIV (Bibrka AD)
      MYKOLAIV (Brody (AD)
      MYKOLAIV (Zydaczow AD)
      MYKULYNTSI
      NADVIRNA
      NENADOVA (Sielnica and Sliwnica)
      NYZHNIV
      OBERTIN
      OZERYANY / JEZIERZANY
      OZIMA / JEZIERNA
      PEREMYSHLIANY
      PIDHAITSI
      PIDDNISTRIANY
      PISTYN
      PIDVOLOCHYS'KA
      POLUPANOWKA
      PRYBYLIV
      ROHATYN
      ROMANOVE SELO
      ROZHNITIV
      ROZLUCH
      SANOK / SIANIK
      SAMBIR
      SEDZISZOW MALAPOLSKI
      SKALA
      SKALAT
      SKALAT STARYI
      SLYVNYTSIA
      SNIATYN
      SOKOLOW MALAPOLSKI
      STANISLAVIV
      STAN'KIVTSI
      STARYI SAMBIR
      STRILYCHI NOVI
      SVERZH
      TEREBOWLIA
      TERNOPIL'
      TOVSTE/TLUSTE (ZALESZCZKYKI)
      TOVSTE/TOUSTE (SKALAT)
      TRAVOTOLOKY
      TROSTIANETS'
      ULASHKIVTSI
      UROZH
      USTECHKO
      USTIA EPYSKOPS'KE
      YANIV (DOLINA)
      YANIV (GRODEK JAG.)
      YARYCHIV NOVYI
      YAVORIV
      ZALISHCHYKY
      ZALIZTSI
      ZBARAZH
      ZBOROW
      ZHURAVNO
      ZURIV

      cell: 301-641-0497
      thausner@...
      skype: thausner
      safe ss facebook: http://tinyurl.com/49294zu
      http://iscaonline.com/safe-silver-spring.html
      http://iscaonline.com/
      http://www.aaiidcmetro.com/

    • Gary Ender
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2011
        Tony,

        Thanks for soliciting this information.  In addition to Chortkiv, much of my family came from the small town/village of Jagielnica.

        I am attaching a copy of a record from the database showing the details of the location of this town. Please add it to the inventory.

        Thanks,

        Gary Ender
        Bethesda MD

        On 4/22/2011 8:23 PM, tony hausner wrote:

        see borschiv and chortkiv

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2011

          Gary,

          I also have connections and suspected connections to Jagielnica.

          Max

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2011
            You can add me to this group as well.

            Rose Blitzstein Elbaum