Fwd: [BORSZCZOWResearchgroup] Amazing photo from the Ghetto Fighters' House regarding 7 young Skala Residents from 1942: Surnames: AJZNER, STOCH, ZLOCZOWER, SOFER, KUSIL

  • tony hausner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2011
      fyi

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Mo Stein <msteinberg2010@...>
      Date: Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 7:35 PM
      Subject: [BORSZCZOWResearchgroup] Amazing photo from the Ghetto Fighters' House regarding 7 young Skala Residents from 1942: Surnames: AJZNER, STOCH, ZLOCZOWER, SOFER, KUSIL
      To: BORSZCZOWResearchgroup@yahoogroups.com, m-levy@...

      Hello All,

      Below is the caption which appears under a photo from the website of the Ghetto Fighters' House in Israel, which is located at the following link http://tinyurl.com/5ujory2 .
      "A group of Jewish partisans who escaped from the Skala Podolskaya ghetto in 1942 and joined the Kovpak partisan unit. In the photo: seven partisans in the Cyganow Forest, in the Ukraine: Yitzhak - Misza Ajzner, Miszka Zloczower, Jaszka Stoch, Boris Zloczower, Mendel Sofer, and Josef Kusil."

      Please note however:
      1) that the word "ghetto" below should not be taken literally, I have spoken to Max Mermelstein who advised me that there was never a formal ghetto in Skala and
                2)
      the Cyganow (
      Tzigan)
      Forest was in Poland just outside of Borszczow and not in            the Ukraine until after 1945 when Poland was partioned according to the Curzon line.

      Best,
      Moshe Steinberg
      Vancouver, CANADA

      cell: 301-641-0497