Yad Vashem Photos Online,

  • tony hausner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2011
      here is a posting of interest from  yesterday.

      Today's press release from Yad Vashem may be of interest:

      As you are all probably aware today, January 27th, is
      International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

      We are happy to share with you that yesterday, to mark this day,
      Yad Vashem and Google announced a partnership that will greatly
      facilitate preservation of and access to the world's largest
      historical collection on the Holocaust.  As of today, 130,000
      photos from Yad Vashem's archive will be viewable in full
      resolution online. This is a first step towards bringing the vast
      Yad Vashem archive online over time.

      Yad Vashem press release
      http://tinyurl.com/6gnhdhk

      Photograph Collection
      http://tinyurl.com/4rbczjl

      Or follow the links on the Yad Vashem home page --
      http://yadvashem.org/.

      cell: 301-641-0497
      skype: thausner

    • tony hausner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2011
        1) I would like to see a project started in which we privately share family trees to see what possible connections exist among our families.  Please let me know if you are interested in such an effort and any thoughts about how we can go about sharing those family trees.  Max Heffler has suggested a couple of web sites where that can be done, but there may be other options.

        2)  This year the annual International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies is holding its annual conference in D. C.  I am on the organizing committee.  At least three members of our group have submitted proposals to deliver papers.  I encourage those of you who have an interest to seriously consider coming to this conference.  We can get together as a Skala Group.  For more information about the conference, go to http://www.dc2011.org/
        There will be speakers from the Holocaust Museum, the Library of Congress, and the National Archives among others.