Re: ISSUE: A little history

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 1999
      > Yes, of course the (economic/political/military) conqueror wishes to
      > administer his new territory in his own language. For example, Norman
      French
      > was the language of the ruling classes in England for a couple of
      centuries
      > after the Conquest in 1066; English went around the globe with the British
      > Empire in the 19th century, and is spread by US-led economic forces
      today...

      I see, you mean that you are using these Americans to do all this hard work
      for you, right? They write In Majorca Daily Bulletin (I bought during the
      vacation, it is something like the Prague Post, just tailored for Majorca,
      and it is quite strictly British):

      "The founding principles of the US were British ideas of liberty and
      democracy, which somehow slipped out of our hands and drifted across the
      North Atlantic. They are Britain�s very own buried treasure, stored and
      preserved an ocean away. Now, it is time to reclaim them for ourselves".

      I think that I got that trick of English speaking people how to acquire new
      territories. Its actually both very subtle and powerful at the same time. As
      an example, in the Majorca Daily Bulletin (MDB) they write (very
      emotionally) about a British politician named Ashcroft, about his intention
      to push for a law to imprison homeless people and beggars, then, they (MDB)
      continue declaring a protest against this on behalf of all Balearic Islands,
      saying that there are about 100,000 people living in poverty on these
      islands. To summarize: they create a "common territorial sense" through
      common political issues.

      Kostas
      (believing that all this stuff is VERY relevant to translation)