TERM: strasidlo

  • raesim
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 24, 2002
      Sunday being a day of rest, I'm working. And I being a sinner, there
      is a problem:

      vy'stavy stars^idel [na bi'tovske'm hrade^]

      Now, I've mananged to work out that 'starsidel' is a typo
      for 'strasidel', but I'm still not sure how to translate the term.
      They're "scary things", clearly, but scary whats, exactly? Is there
      anybody out there who's ever been to Bitov and can enlighten me? A
      search on Google doesn't provide any solutions, only clues in the
      form of adjectives that can be applied to
      these 'strasidla': 'hradni', 'lesni' and 'pohadkovy'. If anyone
      could help me with interpreting these clues or with finding a
      suitable English equivalent, I'd be eternally grateful (as well as
      eternally damned). All I've thought of so far is 'exhibitions of
      horrors', but I'm not particularly satisfied with it as its meaning
      isn't clear.

      Many thanks,

      Simon
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 24, 2002
        How about "scary monsters"?

        or maybe "horror show"? (after all someone was talking about Anthony Burgess
        recently...)

        HTH
        Coilin

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 24, 2002
          Simon asked about:

          > vy'stavy stars^idel [na bi'tovske'm hrade^]

          Examples of "strasidlo" are White Lady, which would most
          likely classify as a <ghost>, and all kinds of forest
          spirits, usually evil, but in some fairy tales, since that's
          where these latter example beings normally act and I
          anticipate that's what's to be shown there at Bitov castle,
          they may be rather amusing. I'm afraid there isn't a single
          word for the latter example in English; the concept is too
          Central and East European. The new big Czech to English
          Fronek gives ghost, spectre, apparition and wraith for
          "strasidlo". Phantom is another expression I can think of
          right now, but they all seem to represent the
          White-Lady-like type only, so maybe that, plus <forest
          spirits> might do a translation quite fine.

          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 24, 2002
            Hey,

            > vy'stavy stars^idel [na bi'tovske'm hrade^]

            slovnik.seznam.cz also yields <bugaboo> and <spook> that
            sound like it to me.

            Jirka Bolech
          • raesim
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 24, 2002
              > slovnik.seznam.cz also yields <bugaboo> and <spook> that
              > sound like it to me.

              Thanks, Jirka. The trouble is (and I hope I'm not spoiling things
              for you), ghosts and spooks and bugaboos don't really exist and so
              can't be exhibited. :-)

              Sorry. I assume you mean that representations of these things are
              exhibited; however, if I say 'exhibitions of ghosts', the contention
              would be that these are real ghosts. Could you give me some idea of
              what constitutes these exhibits?

              Simon
            • raesim
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 24, 2002
                Thanks, Coilin and Tony.

                > or maybe "horror show"?

                This did occur to me, but I thought it made the thing sound too much
                like a performance. But maybe it is a performance...

                > Chamber of Horrors

                This sounds good: I'll think I'll go with it, unless someone comes
                along and suggests that it's something different.

                Simon
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                  Dear Simon,

                  > Sorry. I assume you mean that representations of these
                  things are
                  > exhibited; however, if I say 'exhibitions of ghosts', the
                  contention
                  > would be that these are real ghosts. Could you give me
                  some idea of
                  > what constitutes these exhibits?

                  The trouble is I do not know what they good folks at Bitov
                  really show. Presumably "figures" made of "something".

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                    Dear Simon,

                    If you check out
                    http://www.vranovsko.cz/pamatky/bitov/bitov.htm, you'll see
                    that "vystava strasidel" (okruh III - strasidla) is a
                    permanent show for CZK 15 of addmission fee. I've taken the
                    liberty to send an inquiry about the exact objects shown to
                    their e-mail address.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                      Dear Simon and everybody,

                      sorry for multiple postings on something so trivial, it's
                      due to my dial-up connection. Besides finding websites that
                      show CZK 10 for the "strasidla" Okruh III there at Bitov,
                      I've found one which is a bit more specific, saying "Krome
                      bezne prohlidky hradu a hradni kaple je pripraven i okruh
                      Strasidla, pro ktery firma Drasar z Nachoda na letosní
                      sezonu pripravila exposici nazvanou Morské a vodni panny" at
                      http://www.regionalist.cz/archiv/000331.htm. This
                      information is probably from the year 2000 though.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                        One more, from me hopefully final, posting on this thread:

                        the reply from a Jan Binder of Bitov castle:

                        "Nase strasidla jsou vyrobena z drateneho pletiva a lati,
                        ktere tvori kostru.
                        Na ni jsou pak pripevneny bud latky nebo PUR penou je
                        vytvoren prislusny
                        tvar (napr. hlava draka, telo, ruce atd.). Pena je pak
                        nasledna obarvena.
                        Vystavovana strasidla predstavují zejmena lesni a vodni
                        druhy -
                        drak, bazilisci, hejkal, vodnik, vodni panna, diva zena,
                        lesni muz, morský
                        pes atd."

                        Jirka Bolech
                      • Simon Vaughan
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                          Thanks very much, Jirka, for your work on my behalf. I don't think we have
                          exhibitions in Britain that correspond exactly to Jan Binder's description,
                          but the term 'chamber of horrors' seems appropriate enough.

                          Simon
                        • Rubková
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                            Hi all,

                            could you help me with this term. How would you translate the
                            above-mentioned term:

                            Context: Rudolfinské umení a zainteresované osobnosti.

                            Thanks a lot.

                            Sarka
                          • Zemedelec@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                              In a message dated 2/24/2 12:23:55, jirkabolech@... writes:

                              << slovnik.seznam.cz also yields <bugaboo> and <spook> that
                              sound like it to me.

                              Bugaboo has a childish/imaginary connotation in the US--"You're a big girl
                              now, don't be afraid of bugaboos in the attic."
                            • Michael Grant
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                                On 2/25/02 5:13 AM, "Jirka Bolech" <jirkabolech@...> wrote:

                                > One more, from me hopefully final, posting on this thread:
                                >
                                > the reply from a Jan Binder of Bitov castle:
                                >
                                > "Nase strasidla jsou vyrobena z drateneho pletiva a lati,
                                > ktere tvori kostru.
                                > Na ni jsou pak pripevneny bud latky nebo PUR penou je
                                > vytvoren prislusny
                                > tvar (napr. hlava draka, telo, ruce atd.). Pena je pak
                                > nasledna obarvena.
                                > Vystavovana strasidla predstavují zejmena lesni a vodni
                                > druhy -
                                > drak, bazilisci, hejkal, vodnik, vodni panna, diva zena,
                                > lesni muz, morský
                                > pes atd."

                                How about "spooks and supernatural beings"? I think most readers will
                                realize that they're not showing real ones in cages.... After all, the Czech
                                doesn't make it explicit that they're not real either.

                                Michael

                                --
                                If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 25, 2002
                                  Hey, Jirka, I hope the next step is to translate the _list_ of these scary beings.... :-)

                                  Cheers, Martin
                                  > Vystavovana strasidla predstavují zejmena lesni a vodni
                                  > druhy -
                                  > drak, bazilisci, hejkal, vodnik, vodni panna, diva zena,
                                  > lesni muz, morský
                                  > pes atd."

                                • Rubková
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                    Hi Simon,
                                    I followed your dicussion concerning "strasidla" and I think that the best
                                    thing for you to do to understand properly the Czeck concept of "strasidla"
                                    is to read the book "Lexikon strasidel", which is the book for children
                                    discribing all "strasidla" presented in Czech tales and fairy tales. This
                                    word usually cover imaginary supernatural being as somebody also mentioned.

                                    Sarka

                                    Hey, Jirka, I hope the next step is to translate the _list_ of these scary
                                    beings.... :-)

                                    Cheers, Martin
                                    > Vystavovana strasidla predstavují zejmena lesni a vodni
                                    > druhy -
                                    > drak, bazilisci, hejkal, vodnik, vodni panna, diva zena,
                                    > lesni muz, morský
                                    > pes atd."

                                    Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                                  • Simon Vaughan
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                      > How about "spooks and supernatural beings"? I think most readers
                                      > will realize that they're not showing real ones in cages....

                                      Yes (one would hope so), but they would still think it _sounded_ like the
                                      exhibition _purported_ to show real live examples.

                                      > After all, the Czech doesn't make it explicit that they're not real
                                      > either.

                                      But 'vystava strasidel' seems to sound natural to Czechs.

                                      Simon
                                    • Simon Vaughan
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                        > I followed your dicussion concerning "strasidla" and I think that the best
                                        > thing for you to do to understand properly the Czeck concept of
                                        "strasidla"
                                        > is to read the book "Lexikon strasidel", which is the book for children
                                        > discribing all "strasidla" presented in Czech tales and fairy tales. This
                                        > word usually cover imaginary supernatural being as somebody also
                                        mentioned.

                                        Thanks for the tip, Sarka. The piece has been returned now, but I remain
                                        interested in strasidla. Do you have any publication details for the book,
                                        or know which section of a bookshop I might find it in (e.g. children's or
                                        reference)?

                                        Simon
                                      • Rubková
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                          Sorry Simon, I have no idea,
                                          but try any district library with children books. Now the libraries have
                                          their catalogues on PCs so I believe there will be no problem to find this
                                          book.

                                          Sarka

                                          > I followed your dicussion concerning "strasidla" and I think that the best
                                          > thing for you to do to understand properly the Czeck concept of
                                          "strasidla"
                                          > is to read the book "Lexikon strasidel", which is the book for children
                                          > discribing all "strasidla" presented in Czech tales and fairy tales. This
                                          > word usually cover imaginary supernatural being as somebody also
                                          mentioned.

                                          Thanks for the tip, Sarka. The piece has been returned now, but I remain
                                          interested in strasidla. Do you have any publication details for the book,
                                          or know which section of a bookshop I might find it in (e.g. children's or
                                          reference)?

                                          Simon

                                          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                                        • Josef Hlavac
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                            Hello folks,

                                            I have encountered the following phrases. I have the feeling that there
                                            might be another, perhaps idiomatic, meaning behind them - they are
                                            supposed to be jokes. Context is instant photography, these appear
                                            on the print and after a few moments are replaced by the actual
                                            picture. They are:

                                            1) "I'm waiting for my close up"
                                            2) "I sense a crush coming on"

                                            I need to have this done today...
                                            TIA, Joe

                                            --
                                            Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                                            Phone: +420-776-736715
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                              On 2/26/02 9:33 AM, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:

                                              >> How about "spooks and supernatural beings"? I think most readers
                                              >> will realize that they're not showing real ones in cages....
                                              >
                                              > Yes (one would hope so), but they would still think it _sounded_ like the
                                              > exhibition _purported_ to show real live examples.

                                              Well then, why not make it an exhibition "on" or "about" rather than "of"
                                              spooks, etc.?

                                              Michael

                                              ***
                                              "We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
                                              -- Jason Kidd, upon joining the Dallas Mavericks
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                                --- In Czechlist@y..., Josef Hlavac <joe@h...> wrote:

                                                > Hello folks,
                                                >
                                                > I have encountered the following phrases. I have the feeling that
                                                there
                                                > might be another, perhaps idiomatic, meaning behind them - they are
                                                > supposed to be jokes. Context is instant photography, these appear
                                                > on the print and after a few moments are replaced by the actual
                                                > picture. They are:
                                                >
                                                > 1) "I'm waiting for my close up"
                                                > 2) "I sense a crush coming on"

                                                Hi Joe,

                                                Can't say the humour (if any) behind these phrases is very striking.

                                                A close-up is of course 'blizky zaber' - perhaps there is some weak
                                                allusion to intimacy, who knows?

                                                A crush is an infatuation for somebody - the kind that adolescents
                                                might suddenly feel - poblouzneni, naval zamilovanosti? Maybe there
                                                is some idea that as the portrait slowly appears, the person
                                                holding the picture feels s/he is falling in love...(?)

                                                I get the impression that the phrases are an attempt at light banter
                                                and weak innuendo, but there are no obvious belly-laughs in them that
                                                I can see.

                                                Yours humourlessly,

                                                M.
                                              • Rubková
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 26, 2002
                                                  Hi Simon,

                                                  > But 'vystava strasidel' seems to sound natural to Czechs.

                                                  It is quite natural, you are right. People are quite aware that there are no
                                                  real "strasidla" unles you use it for description of somebody, but they are
                                                  used to them from tales and fairy tales, there are their lexicons and books
                                                  about them (for children) so they understand "vystava strasidel" as
                                                  exhibition of somebody's images how these beings could look like.

                                                  Sarka

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 27, 2002
                                                    Thanks Melvyn,

                                                    that's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.

                                                    Joe

                                                    --
                                                    Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                                                    Phone: +420-776-736715

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002

                                                      OK here is my Encyclopaedia of Imaginary Beings (surely not
                                                      'horrors'):

                                                      Drak - here be dragons - I read somewhere that dragons are seen in a
                                                      very positive light in many cultures and trying to bump them off is
                                                      actually a peculiarity of the Christian tradition. Are Czech dragons
                                                      ever seen as positive symbols like, say, the dragon on the Welsh flag?

                                                      Bazilisci - oh basilisks!

                                                      Hejkal - (Wild) Man of the Woods according to old Poldauf. I
                                                      understand the hejkal can also lurk in water and lure people to their
                                                      doom with his strange hejkani, isn't that right? How
                                                      many pints do you need to hear one of them?

                                                      Vodnik - 'Water goblin' or 'water sprite' according to Poldauf. The
                                                      character in Rusalka and the one that figures in pictures by Lada is
                                                      no lithe sprite by any stretch of the imagination. I quite like 'water
                                                      gnome' myself. Gnomes are the charming little characters you find in
                                                      British gardens - cousins of the trpaslici we see on market stalls
                                                      here. They often have a little fishing rod and would not look too odd
                                                      smoking a Meerschaum IMHO. Gnomes can be quite friendly little chaps
                                                      whereas I think goblins are rather uncouth.

                                                      Vodni panna - ah, one of them popped up on David Vavra's trip down the
                                                      Orlice on TV the other night. Could she be a water nymph? That's how
                                                      Rusalka is normally described, I believe. AKA "water maiden", "water
                                                      sprite" - do not approach - seek the assistance of a law enforcement
                                                      officer.

                                                      Diva zena = divozenka = Wild Woman of the Woods (Poldauf).

                                                      Lesni muz - Wild Man of the Woods again (Poldauf). I wonder if they
                                                      have annual national conventions.

                                                      BTW Don't you have any fairies dancing around the toadstools in these
                                                      parts?

                                                      Morsky pes - What are they doing here?

                                                      Talking of elves and that, I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings film
                                                      yet but from pictures I have seen I get the impression that Elvish
                                                      architecture has been more than a little inspired by Czech Secese.

                                                      Vystava strasidel - Exhibition of Imaginary Beings has a certain
                                                      pleasing paradox behind it, when you think about it, don't you think,
                                                      Simon? Maybe in Britain they'd be more likely to use the word
                                                      'gallery'. They have waxworks galleries, don't they? Grim gallery of
                                                      goblins, ghouls and gnomes? :) Yes, I know I'm too late. My most
                                                      inspired translations are always a week too late.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
                                                        HI Mel,

                                                        >Drak - here be dragons - I read somewhere that dragons are seen in a very positive light in many cultures and trying to bump them off is actually a peculiarity of the Christian tradition. Are Czech dragons ever seen as positive symbols like, say, the dragon on the Welsh flag?

                                                        Nope. They are invariably stupid and evil, except for some late-20th century variations.

                                                        >Hejkal - (Wild) Man of the Woods according to old Poldauf. I understand the hejkal can also lurk in water and lure people to their doom with his strange hejkani, isn't that right? How many pints do you need to
                                                        hear one of them?

                                                        No water in Czechia (sorry), AFAIK. Most of the time they sit on a branch or peek from behind of a tree. No pints needed - just come to us and listen to my kids.

                                                        >Vodni panna - ah, one of them popped up on David Vavra's trip down the Orlice on TV the other night. Could she be a water nymph? That's how Rusalka is normally described, I believe. AKA "water maiden", "water sprite" - do not approach - seek the assistance of a law enforcement officer.
                                                        Not a really typical creater of my home country. If speaking about those from abroad, I believe they are called mermaid?

                                                        >BTW Don't you have any fairies dancing around the toadstools in these parts?

                                                        Dancing, yes, on a clear of woods, but they are too tall to use toadstools as a rotation. unfortunately.

                                                        >Morsky pes - What are they doing here?
                                                        No idea. But Croatians use "morskie pasy" or sea dogs for sharks. Maybe the gallery includes a shark or two.

                                                        >Vystava strasidel - Exhibition of Imaginary Beings has a certain pleasing paradox behind it, when you think about it, don't you think, Simon? Maybe in Britain they'd be more likely to use the word 'gallery'. They have waxworks galleries, don't they? Grim gallery of goblins, ghouls and gnomes? :) Yes, I know I'm too late. My most inspired translations are always a week too late.

                                                        Well, I understand your name is much more accurate, but Chanmber of Horrors - it has the eight marketing zing to it, hasn´t it?

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
                                                          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
                                                          Are Czech dragons
                                                          ever seen as positive symbols like, say, the dragon on the Welsh flag?

                                                          > Nope. They are invariably stupid and evil,

                                                          Poor dragons. That has really bummed me out for the whole day.

                                                          > >Hejkal -
                                                          No water in Czechia (sorry), AFAIK. Most of the time they sit on a
                                                          branch or peek from behind of a tree. No pints needed - just come to
                                                          us and listen to my kids.

                                                          :) So is he just like the 'lesni muz', only noisier?

                                                          > >Vodni panna -
                                                          > Not a really typical creater of my home country.

                                                          Rusalka is about as Czech as you can get, surely!

                                                          > If speaking about
                                                          those from abroad, I believe they are called mermaid?

                                                          You only find mermaids in the sea AFAIAA (morska panna) and they have
                                                          fishy tails.

                                                          > >BTW Don't you have any fairies dancing around the toadstools in
                                                          these parts?

                                                          > Dancing, yes, on a clear of woods, but they are too tall to use
                                                          toadstools as a rotation. unfortunately.

                                                          Don't you have little ones with gossamer wings?

                                                          > Well, I understand your name is much more accurate, but Chanmber of
                                                          Horrors - it has the eight marketing zing to it, hasn´t it?

                                                          Hmmmm....

                                                          M.
                                                        • Michael Grant
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
                                                            On 3/3/02 9:29 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                                                            > --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
                                                            > Are Czech dragons
                                                            > ever seen as positive symbols like, say, the dragon on the Welsh flag?
                                                            >>
                                                            >> Nope. They are invariably stupid and evil,
                                                            >
                                                            > Poor dragons. That has really bummed me out for the whole day.

                                                            How about Moravian dragons? Like the one in Brno....
                                                            ;-)
                                                            Michael

                                                            ****PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW PHONE NUMBERS****
                                                            Tel. (+1-512) 989-7480, Fax (+1-512) 989-2428