Re: Archaeology

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 1999
      >Now has anyone read any nice modern Czech book,�short story, or poem
      >lately? A rattlin' good read worth translating? I'd love to try it
      >as an exercise and to get away from the usual stuff for a while. I
      >have no commercial exploitation in mind.

      I've been out of touch for a couple of years, but as of '97 the only
      thing I had found written after "November" that was worth reading was
      Jachym Topol's _Sestra_.

      Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 1999
        > >Now has anyone read any nice modern Czech book, short story, or poem
        > >lately? A rattlin' good read worth translating? I'd love to try it
        > >as an exercise and to get away from the usual stuff for a while. I
        > >have no commercial exploitation in mind.

        What about some short stories (or rather long comments) by Michael Viewegh?
        They are more or less regularly published in Mlada Fronta Dnes: bright,
        dynamic and pleasant to read. It�s about half page each - quite enough to
        translatce after a good lunch and coffee.
        Alternatively, you can try some children songs by Uhlir and Sverak. They are
        very simple but quite a challenge for any translator.