Re: [Czechlist] Re: CHAT: Czech vs. English Vocabulary

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 4, 2002
      In a message dated 2/4/02 5:22:27 AM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

      >> I wondered how on earth these Russians got better English
      >> training than the Czechs did.

      >Obviously they were trained as spies but didn't quite make the grade.

      I thought of that possibility.

      Jamie
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 4, 2002
        In a message dated 2/4/02 3:27:04 PM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

        >> I had a (Czech) Russian teacher in highschool in Ostrava, a
        >> young guy who was OK, had a few jokes to tell about living in
        >> Russia..... in the last half of our final year (after Nov '89) - he
        >> would have an English textbook open under the desk during
        >> lessons, Prokop family, lesson about five.....when I visited the
        >> school a year later he was an English teacher - and maybe he
        >> still is......
        >
        >Now he can boast to prospective students, 'I am teaching English language
        >since ten years.' ;-(

        Yes, and discuss Negroes in America, and talk about the "school servant" at
        the "basic school".

        One of my favorite lines ever appears in that purple book "Reading About the
        English-Speaking Countries", which unfortunately was still in the bookstores
        last time I was there, around New Year's 2000:

        "Lakes Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior share the United States
        with Canada."