Re: CHAT: Czech vs. English Vocabulary

    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 3 7:21 AM

      --- In Czechlist@y..., Michael Grant <mgrant@b...> wrote:

      > Reminds me of the Eskimos and their umpteen words for snow....

      Check out my Teach Yourself Inuit pages on

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/eskimo.html

      or simply look up <"snow" "inuit" "agglutinative language" "urban
      myth" "true but unremarkable"> on any search engine.

      tlapa powder snow
      tlacringit snow that is crusted on the surface
      kayi drifting snow
      tlapat still snow
      klin remembered snow
      naklin forgotten snow
      tlamo snow that falls in large wet flakes
      tlatim snow that falls in small flakes
      tlaslo snow that falls slowly
      tlapinti snow that falls quickly
      kripya snow that has melted and refrozen
      tliyel snow that has been marked by wolves
      tliyelin snow that has been marked by Eskimos
      blotla blowing snow
      pactla snow that has been packed down
      hiryla snow in beards
      wa-ter melted snow
      tlayinq snow mixed with mud
      quinaya snow mixed with Husky shit
      quinyaya snow mixed with the shit of a lead dog
      slimtla snow that is crusted on top but soft
      underneath
      kriplyana snow that looks blue in the early morning
      puntla a mouthful of snow because you fibbed
      allatla baked snow
      fritla fried snow
      gristla deep fried snow
      MacTla snow burgers
      jatla snow between your fingers or toes, or in
      groin-folds
      dinliltla little balls of snow that cling to Husky fur
      sulitlana green snow
      mentlana pink snow
      tidtla snow used for cleaning
      ertla snow used by Eskimo teenagers for erotic
      rituals
      kriyantli snow bricks
      hahatla small packages of snow given as gag gifts
      semtla partially melted snow
      ontla snow on objects
      intla snow that has drifted indoors
      shlim slush
      warintla snow used to make Eskimo daiquiris
      mextla snow used to make Eskimo Margaritas
      penstla the idea of snow
      mortla snow mounded on dead bodies
      ylaipi tomorrow's snow
      nylaipin the snows of yesteryear ("neiges d'antan")
      pritla our children's snow
      nootlin snow that doesn't stick
      rotlana quickly accumulating snow
      skriniya snow that never reaches the ground
      bluwid snow that's shaken down from objects in the
      wind
      tlanid snow that's shaken down and then mixes with
      sky-falling snow
      ever-tla a spirit made from mashed fermented snow,
      popular among Eskimo men
      talini snow angels
      priyakli snow that looks like it's falling upward
      chiup snow that makes halos
      blontla snow that's shaken off in the mudroom
      tlalman snow sold to German tourists
      tlalam snow sold to American tourists
      tlanip snow sold to Japanese tourists
      protla snow packed around caribou meat
      attla snow that as it falls seems to create nice
      pictures in the air
      sotla snow sparkling with sunlight
      tlun snow sparkling with moonlight
      astrila snow sparkling with starlight
      clim snow sparkling with flashlight or headlight
      tlapi summer snow
      krikaya snow mixed with breath
      ashtla expected snow that's wagered on (depth, size
      of flakes)
      huantla special snow rolled into "snow reefers" and
      smoked by wild Eskimo youth
      tla-na-na snow mixed with the sound of old rock and
      roll from a portable radio
      depptla a small snowball, preserved in Lucite, that
      had been handled by Johnny Depp
      trinkyi first snow of the year
      tronkyin last snow of the year
      shiya snow at dawn
      katiyana night snow
      tlinro snow vapor
      nyik snow with flakes of widely varying size
      ragnitla two snowfalls at once, creating moire
      patterns
      akitla snow falling on water
      privtla snow melting in the spring rain
      chahatlin snow that makes a sizzling sound as it falls
      on water
      hootlin snow that makes a hissing sound as the
      individual flakes brush
      geltla snow dollars
      briktla good building snow
      striktla snow that's no good for building
      erolinyat snow drifts containing the imprint of crazy
      lovers
      chachat swirling snow that drives you nuts
      krotla snow that blinds you
      tlarin snow that can be sculpted into the delicate
      corsages Eskimo girls pin to their whale parkas at prom time
      motla snow in the mouth
      sotla snow in the south
      maxtla snow that hides the whole village
      tlayopi snow drifts you fall into and die
      tla ordinary snow

      Mind you, you Czechs have quite a few colloquial words for skiing
      conditions, don't you? Vata, prasan, firn.... I'm sure that with a
      little imagination you could compete with the Inuits.
      :)

      As for the fish, Martin, well surely Czech words exist for various sea
      creatures. According to my Cestina za skolou by Hausenblas and Kuchar,
      some are from Russian (treska) while others were borrowed from the
      South Slav languages (chaluha, lastura, chobotnice). It's just that
      you guys don't seem to know half of them. Of course, Anglophones have
      the same kind of problems with mushrooms. The words for them might
      well exist but few know of them (see my mushroom page:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/mush.html - any chance of
      filling in a few gaps, Tony?)

      I wonder what other areas of special vocabulary exist in the
      respective popular cultures? Forestry, hunting, brewing and
      pig-slaughtering expressions on the Czech side, perhaps, while our
      next entertaining quiz could well be on English seafaring expressions,
      once Simon has sorted out the true significance of 'bowling from the
      pavilion end'. :)

      M.
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 4 6:52 PM
        In a message dated 2/4/02 3:27:04 PM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

        >> I had a (Czech) Russian teacher in highschool in Ostrava, a
        >> young guy who was OK, had a few jokes to tell about living in
        >> Russia..... in the last half of our final year (after Nov '89) - he
        >> would have an English textbook open under the desk during
        >> lessons, Prokop family, lesson about five.....when I visited the
        >> school a year later he was an English teacher - and maybe he
        >> still is......
        >
        >Now he can boast to prospective students, 'I am teaching English language
        >since ten years.' ;-(

        Yes, and discuss Negroes in America, and talk about the "school servant" at
        the "basic school".

        One of my favorite lines ever appears in that purple book "Reading About the
        English-Speaking Countries", which unfortunately was still in the bookstores
        last time I was there, around New Year's 2000:

        "Lakes Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior share the United States
        with Canada."