Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Czech vs. English Vocabulary (Was: TERMS: SUV, forward pass + THANKS: Scull &Bones + motions)

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 2 5:23 PM
      On 2/2/02 3:48 PM, "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@...> wrote:

      >> BTW, I once had a class of students in the CR who said that English was not
      >> an expressive language and had a smaller vocabulary than Czech, while Czech
      >> had a word for everything on earth. One of the first things I did to prove
      >> them wrong was to present them with a bunch of everyday English terms for
      >> different types of cars and for various driving maneuvers. For most terms
      >> they could not come up with a Czech equivalent. Then I started the same
      >> thing with pastry...
      >
      > That reminds me of a detective story I was translating several years ago. The
      > opening scene was a description of a daily catch on a fishing boat. There was
      > about a dozen or two of various kinds of fish - but if I was to convey it
      > precisely in Czech, it would have been something like: "a v siti byly tresky,
      > tresky, tresky, tresky...."

      Reminds me of the Eskimos and their umpteen words for snow....
      Michael

      ****PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW PHONE NUMBERS****
      Tel. (+1-512) 989-7480, Fax (+1-512) 989-2428
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 4 6:52 PM
        In a message dated 2/4/02 3:27:04 PM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

        >> I had a (Czech) Russian teacher in highschool in Ostrava, a
        >> young guy who was OK, had a few jokes to tell about living in
        >> Russia..... in the last half of our final year (after Nov '89) - he
        >> would have an English textbook open under the desk during
        >> lessons, Prokop family, lesson about five.....when I visited the
        >> school a year later he was an English teacher - and maybe he
        >> still is......
        >
        >Now he can boast to prospective students, 'I am teaching English language
        >since ten years.' ;-(

        Yes, and discuss Negroes in America, and talk about the "school servant" at
        the "basic school".

        One of my favorite lines ever appears in that purple book "Reading About the
        English-Speaking Countries", which unfortunately was still in the bookstores
        last time I was there, around New Year's 2000:

        "Lakes Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior share the United States
        with Canada."