Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Czech vs. English Vocabulary (Was: TERMS: SUV, forward pass + THANKS: Scull &Bones + motions)

    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 2, 2002
      Hi Jamie,

      >BTW, I once had a class of students in the CR who said that English was not an expressive language and had a smaller vocabulary than Czech, while Czech had a word for everything on earth. One of the first things I did to prove them wrong was to present them with a bunch of everyday English terms for different types of cars and for various driving maneuvers. For most terms they could not come up with a Czech equivalent. Then I started the same thing with pastry...

      That reminds me of a detective story I was translating several years ago. The opening scene was a description of a daily catch on a fishing boat. There was about a dozen or two of various kinds of fish - but if I was to convey it precisely in Czech, it would have been something like: "a v siti byly tresky, tresky, tresky, tresky...."

    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 4, 2002
        In a message dated 2/4/02 3:27:04 PM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

        >> I had a (Czech) Russian teacher in highschool in Ostrava, a
        >> young guy who was OK, had a few jokes to tell about living in
        >> Russia..... in the last half of our final year (after Nov '89) - he
        >> would have an English textbook open under the desk during
        >> lessons, Prokop family, lesson about five.....when I visited the
        >> school a year later he was an English teacher - and maybe he
        >> still is......
        >
        >Now he can boast to prospective students, 'I am teaching English language
        >since ten years.' ;-(

        Yes, and discuss Negroes in America, and talk about the "school servant" at
        the "basic school".

        One of my favorite lines ever appears in that purple book "Reading About the
        English-Speaking Countries", which unfortunately was still in the bookstores
        last time I was there, around New Year's 2000:

        "Lakes Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior share the United States
        with Canada."