Re: [Czechlist] Re: Webster

  • Rachel Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2002
      > Jeden znamy mi nabidl ke koupi slovnik Webster, unabridged, r. 1964,
      2650 stran. Nechci tlacit cenu prilis dolu (jde o duchodce), ale
      potreboval bych operny bod: za kolik se ted u nas prodava novy slovnik.
      Nedari se mi to vsak zjistit: knihkupectvi v podchodu Metra na konecne
      stanici v Dejvicich je v rekonstrukci, knihkupectvi naproti Manesu
      zavreli, nahradni prodejna Na porici 25 ho udajne nema, knihkupectvi
      Academia na Narodni dtto.

      Hi Dusan,

      I think Kanzelsberger ("Dum knihy") on Vaclavske namesti had a copy last
      time I was there (in their foreign language section on the 3rd floor), but
      unfortunately I can't remember how much it was.

      While we're on the subject of large English dictionaries, anyone with a
      CD-ROM drive who wants a comprehensive English dictionary might want to
      consider the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on CD - this is the
      electronic version of the huge 2-volume reference standard, and only costs
      about 1250Kc. It's far quicker to use than a big heavy printed book and
      about a quarter of the price.
      See http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-268302-0 for details of how to buy
      online.

      BTW, Webster's is based on American usage and the Oxford dictionaries on
      British usage, but I think both are reasonably good at giving the
      alternative usages in parentheses.

      Rachel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2002
        I purchased Webster´s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dic of ENglish (1600+ pages) , 1996 for some CZK 600+ in the bookshop of Filosoficka fakulta some two years ago.
        HTH