Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERMS: SUV, forward pass + THANKS: Scull &Bones + motions

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
      I still think that "vozidlo pro volny cas" is a terrible translation of the
      term, and very inaccurate. That calque "sportovni uzitkovy vuz" is better,
      but I don't know if it sounds natural to Czechs.

      Keep in mind that automotive companies in the US, and their ad agencies,
      almost never check the accuracy of those translations, so bad terms -- or
      even completely nonsensical terms -- can go undetected. They can even
      perpetuate themselves under the justification that, "That's what they used
      last time," or "It's what we usually use," etc. In one manual I went over,
      they were using the Spanish equivalent of "záliv" to refer to a section of a
      garage. It was totally nonsensical and incomprehensible, but people
      justified it by saying, "That's been used before!" So, keep in mind that you
      can change a pre-existing bad term to a good one, and probably no one will
      notice on the American side, and on the Czech side they may even be grateful.

      Jamie
    • ottop1
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
        > I still think that "vozidlo pro volny cas" is a terrible
        translation of the
        > term, and very inaccurate. That calque "sportovni uzitkovy vuz" is

        I go with on this Jamie. I have been always used to call such
        cars "terenni vuz" or "terenak" (colloquial style).

        BR

        Otto
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
          SUV is Sport Utility Vehicle, as I'm sure you know, I've seen it translated
          as:

          Sportovni uzitkovy vuz in Czecho, but don't think it's anything else than a
          literal translation....

          I've also seen these acronyms (SUV, HRV, etc) used as such - I think they
          are understood among car people, maybe try using SUV, explaining it and then
          sticking to it?

          Matej

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
            In a message dated 2/2/02 11:07:25 AM, otto@... writes:

            >> I still think that "vozidlo pro volny cas" is a terrible
            >translation of the
            >> term, and very inaccurate. That calque "sportovni uzitkovy vuz" is

            >I go with on this Jamie. I have been always used to call such
            >cars "terenni vuz" or "terenak" (colloquial style).

            I think "vozidlo pro volny cas" must originally have been the translation of
            "recreational vehicle" ("RV" for short), and was then misapplied to SUVs.