TERMS: SUV, forward pass + THANKS: Scull &Bones + motions

  • Irena Steinerova
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
      First of all, I would like to thank to everyone for their suggestions about
      Scull&Bones (I decided to call it simply "tajny spolek Lebka s hnaty"). Many
      thanks to Michal Borek and Michael Trittipo for their valuable help with a
      discovery motion/m. to supress!

      Today, I have two more questions. The first one is related to vehicles (the
      topic I am quite ignorant of): Does anyone know what an SUV (sport utility
      vehicle) is called in Czech? It does not have to be an "official" term, just
      a colloquial name. (In my case, it is a Lincoln Navigator). I know what it
      looks like, but what the hell people call it? I have found "vozidlo pro
      volny cas", but it is too long and seems strange.

      The other question relates to football. I have the following sentence: "...a
      lawyer who holds his speech in the same kind of suspicion with which Woody
      Hayesviewed the forward pass." OK, I have found that W.H. was a football
      coach and I understand that "forward pass" can be either a person or "hozeni
      mice na protivnikovu branku". But which one fits the context??

      Many thanks in advance!
      Irena
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Irena Steinerova" <irena.steinerova@w...>
        wrote:
        > First of all, I would like to thank to everyone for their
        suggestions about
        > Scull&Bones (I decided to call it simply "tajny spolek Lebka s
        hnaty").

        I'm not sure it's so secret, actually, considering it took me all of
        10 seconds to find a list of famous past members and detailed
        descriptions of their bizarre initiation ceremonies. All good clean
        fun, I'm sure. Hmmm, maybe we should have something like that for
        Czechlist members...:) Tajnustkarsky rather than tajny, if you ask me.

        >Does anyone know what an SUV (sport utility vehicle) is called in
        Czech? It does not have to be an "official" term, just a colloquial
        name. (In my case, it is a Lincoln Navigator). I know what it looks
        like, but what the hell people call it? I have found "vozidlo pro
        volny cas", but it is too long and seems strange.

        Here's a few alternatives for you that I found by looking it up with
        the Czech filter on in Google's advanced search feature (so of course
        they are all authoritative, Karel :)). Talking of search engines, I'd
        be interested in your thoughts on www.webfast.cz - a kind of Czech
        Google.

        uplatnìna pøi tvorbì nejnovìjšího vozu pro volný èas - SUV (Sport
        utility vehicle) znaèky Hyundai. Santa Fe pøichází s neuvìøitelným
        výètem ...
        www.autoagent.cz/santafe/santafe.htm

        (Sport Utility Vehicle - vozidlo pro volný èas) kombinuje prostor s
        vytøíbeným interiérem a nabízí ...
        www.mazda.cz/html/neospac.htm

        PIT STOP - Slovník automobilových pojmù a zkratek:
        SUV Sport Utility Vehicle - sportovnì užitkové vozy
        www.hyperlink.cz/pitstop/Slovn%C3%ADk.htm

        (Sport Utility Vehicle - Sportovnì Užitkové Vozidlo). ...
        www.svet4x4.cz/koktejl/vyrobci1.html

        Je to hybrid mezi tzv. sport-utility-vehicle a sedanem. V podstatì
        pøedstavuje luxusní kanceláø na kolech s libovolnì ...
        www.usmotors.cz/akce/akce_v_zahranici/99_detroit/general_motors/
        detroit_gm.html

        M.
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
          In a message dated 2/2/02 5:03:36 AM, irena.steinerova@... writes:

          >I have found "vozidlo pro
          >volny cas", but it is too long and seems strange.

          That really is strange. Your instinct is correct, because most SUVs are not
          used only for recreation, but as a main family vehicle. Another term for SUV
          would be "all-terrain vehicle". This is also tricky, because most SUV
          drivers -- especially those with Lincoln Navigators -- never go off-roading
          in them. They are driven mainly for image, for their size (to some
          Americans, size = safety), for their better road visibility, and for their
          perceived practicality. For the Lincoln Navigator specifically, you could
          make up a Czech term that means something to the effect of "luxury
          all-terrain vehicle". In fact, I think it's sometimes referred to this way
          even in English. For that segment of the vehicle market in general, you
          could also describe it "passenger utility vehicle". That term also appears
          in English sometimes. In English we can't call it a "Jeep", because as it
          says on the advertisements, "Jeep is a registered trademark of
          DaimlerChrysler," but you may be able to call an SUV a "dz^íp" in Czech, but
          that's not quite right either. My automotive dictionary offers "terénní
          osobní vúz", which sounds accurate to my non-Czech ears, but my guess is that
          you'll probably have to make up a term yourself.

          BTW, I once had a class of students in the CR who said that English was not
          an expressive language and had a smaller vocabulary than Czech, while Czech
          had a word for everything on earth. One of the first things I did to prove
          them wrong was to present them with a bunch of everyday English terms for
          different types of cars and for various driving maneuvers. For most terms
          they could not come up with a Czech equivalent. Then I started the same
          thing with pastry...

          BTW, it may help you a little to understand why the Lincoln Navigator even
          came about. (I worked for years in automotive communications and advertising
          in Detroit.) Lincoln and Cadillac had been severely losing market share for
          a number of years, because their traditional customers were dying. I mean
          they were literally getting old and dying! So, both companies had to come up
          with something to lure younger customers. Baby-boomers are embarrassed by
          overt displays of luxury, unless they appear "practical" somehow, so the
          answer was to come up with a luxury SUV.

          >The other question relates to football. I have the following sentence:
          >"...a lawyer who holds his speech in the same kind of suspicion with which
          Woody
          >Hayes viewed the forward pass." OK, I have found that W.H. was a football
          >coach and I understand that "forward pass" can be either a person or "hozeni
          >mice na protivnikovu branku". But which one fits the context??

          It's not the person (in fact, I have never even heard the term used to refer
          to a person). It's the "hozeni mice" meaning.

          Would you by any chance be translating a training manual for salespeople?
          Those things are always full of sports stories that don't translate into othe
          r cultures. What do you do with that? In fact, when those things would
          appear on our desks for the first time, my coworkers and I used to play a
          game: "Hey, you guys! Is this one going to be football, basketball or
          baseball?" You might tell the client that American football stories are
          meaningless to Czechs and ask for another way to handle that section.
          They'll probably be totally ignorant of foreign cultures and tell you "just
          translate it", but at least you'll have said something. At one company where
          I worked, the account people told the Spanish translator "just translate it",
          and the title of the automotive sales training program came out in Puerto
          Rican Spanish meaning "A Big Bowel Movement". It had been printed all over
          pens, note pads and T-shirts to be given to the seminar participants, and the
          problem wasn't discovered until right before "show time".

          Jamie
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
            I still think that "vozidlo pro volny cas" is a terrible translation of the
            term, and very inaccurate. That calque "sportovni uzitkovy vuz" is better,
            but I don't know if it sounds natural to Czechs.

            Keep in mind that automotive companies in the US, and their ad agencies,
            almost never check the accuracy of those translations, so bad terms -- or
            even completely nonsensical terms -- can go undetected. They can even
            perpetuate themselves under the justification that, "That's what they used
            last time," or "It's what we usually use," etc. In one manual I went over,
            they were using the Spanish equivalent of "záliv" to refer to a section of a
            garage. It was totally nonsensical and incomprehensible, but people
            justified it by saying, "That's been used before!" So, keep in mind that you
            can change a pre-existing bad term to a good one, and probably no one will
            notice on the American side, and on the Czech side they may even be grateful.

            Jamie
          • ottop1
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
              > I still think that "vozidlo pro volny cas" is a terrible
              translation of the
              > term, and very inaccurate. That calque "sportovni uzitkovy vuz" is

              I go with on this Jamie. I have been always used to call such
              cars "terenni vuz" or "terenak" (colloquial style).

              BR

              Otto
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
                SUV is Sport Utility Vehicle, as I'm sure you know, I've seen it translated
                as:

                Sportovni uzitkovy vuz in Czecho, but don't think it's anything else than a
                literal translation....

                I've also seen these acronyms (SUV, HRV, etc) used as such - I think they
                are understood among car people, maybe try using SUV, explaining it and then
                sticking to it?

                Matej

              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
                  In a message dated 2/2/02 11:07:25 AM, otto@... writes:

                  >> I still think that "vozidlo pro volny cas" is a terrible
                  >translation of the
                  >> term, and very inaccurate. That calque "sportovni uzitkovy vuz" is

                  >I go with on this Jamie. I have been always used to call such
                  >cars "terenni vuz" or "terenak" (colloquial style).

                  I think "vozidlo pro volny cas" must originally have been the translation of
                  "recreational vehicle" ("RV" for short), and was then misapplied to SUVs.