Stavebni Zarizeni and Weird Scottish legal terms, WAS:scaffolding hire (I think)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      Thanks Sarka and Tom,

      Problem was that "Plant" was one of the Contract Terms (160 appearances in
      the document), plus it appeared in paragraph-long sentences such as:

      (a) Unless notification in writing to the contrary is received by the
      Owner from the Hirer in the case of plant supplied with an operator
      within four working days, and in the case of plant supplied without
      an operator within three working days, of the plant being delivered
      to the site, the plant shall be deemed to be in good order, save for
      either an inherent fault or a fault not ascertainable by reasonable
      examination, in accordance with terms of the Contract and to the
      Hirer's satisfaction, provided that where plant requires to be erected
      on site, the periods above stated shall be calculated from the date of
      completed erection of plant.

      ......the client I'm doing this for hires scaffolding, formwork, mobile
      working platforms, etc.

      To save myself saying "stavebni stroje a zarizeni" everytime the English
      original said "plant", I took advantage of the fact that whatever is defined
      at the beginning of the contract can then be used (Capitalized) as
      such....and simply defined all of this equipment, machinery, etc as
      "Zarizeni"

      Hang on, 160 times two extra words......maybe I should have used stavebni
      stroje a zarizeni after all......:)

      Thanks for suggestions anyway, I was just taken aback by the absence of an
      equivalent to "Construction Plant", which is quite a handy substitute for
      whatever is used in building.....but I guess it might not exist as such in
      Czech.

      BTW, how would you translate the following regulation (the client insisted
      on having the UK laws and regulations mentioned in the contract
      translated)?:

      .......or make or
      propose to make any arrangement with his creditors or becomes
      insolvent within the meaning of
      Section 113 of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996

      Without looking it up (if that can be done), I wasn't sure if it is
      referring to housing subsidies, or granting of housing permits......and
      whether regeneration was refurbishment?

      AND, one for the Northern flock of legal eagles:

      Where, under Scots law, the Owner, the
      Hirer, or the adjudicator, wishes to register a decision of the
      adjudicator for execution in the Books of Council and Session, any
      other party shall, on being requested to do so, forthwith consent to
      such registration by subscribing the decision before a witness.

      Just out of curiosity, what are the Books of Council and Session?

      Matej