thanks to all about dzuvec - and it's Turkish; they also contributed the ingredients of "gujem".

  • Dora Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2002
      Thanks to everyone who helped me with my casserole
      tracing project.

      I did some more research in the library. I struck
      gold by following the trail of ingredients. The Turks
      brought rice,
      tomatoes and peppers to the Balkans in the 15th
      through 17th centuries. They also brought the name
      dzuvec (squiggle under c, pron juvech). dz is a
      separate letter in Serbian alphabet, the three pages
      of words that begin with it in the Serbian dictionary
      are mostly imports from other languages. Dzuvec is
      not found in the Serbian dictionary. Surprise - it is
      found in the Turkish dictionary, and also in Turkish
      cookbooks. guvec or govec, guvecci; u/o pronounced
      like French eu/u, squiggle under c, soft g sound.
      pronounced guvech. It means meat and vegetable
      casserole. Seems to be quite a variety of them.

      More surprises: according to someone on one of these
      lists: in Romania it's called "ghiveci" (gh like the
      gee in geese) (veci like
      the seaweed vetch). Also known by the same name (with
      slightly
      different pronunciation) in Bulgaria.

      There's a very similar dish in Cyprus called
      yiouvetsi. My grandmother used
      to make it. It's wheat grains with slivers of meat in
      a tomato sauce, baked
      for hours in a traditional woodfired oven. Yum!!

      Here is the recipe I am trying to trace.

      one pound ground beef
      1/2 to 2/3 cp uncooked rice
      2 one pound cans tomatoes or one large, one small can
      one medium onion sliced
      one medium pepper sliced
      salt to taste

      Starting with tomatoes on bottom, layer tomatoes,
      rice, meat, onion and pepper into two sets of layers,
      top with tomatoes. Salt hamburger. Fill with juice
      from tomato cans to top of casserole. Bake 350 to 400
      until rice is cooked, adding water as necessary.

      This is one of a huge variety of dzuvec discussions
      people sent me;

      I do not know if you have a food-processor and/or you
      can buy prepared
      vegetables (chopped onions for instance) and meat (cut
      into cubes for
      stew). Here you can get all those and they are a big
      help. In the
      meantime I am sending you a recipe for djuvec which is
      a yugoslav
      (serbian) popular dish with lots of vegetables, rice
      and meat (can be
      also without meat). All kind of vegetables can be used
      in different
      quantity ratios. The only vegetables absolutely
      necessary are the
      tomatos. Here goes:

      1/2 cup of oil
      1 kg meat cut into medium pieces
      3/4 kg onions
      1 and 1/2 Kg tomatos
      eggplant
      green peppers
      succini
      2 cups of water
      60 gr. rice
      parsley, celery (you can use dried )
      salt, pepper

      Cut the tomatos into slices. Chop the onions. Peel
      and cut the rest of
      the vegetables into medium pieces. Mix all the
      vegetables (except the
      tomatos) , add 1/4 cup of oil, salt, pepper, parsley
      and celery. Take
      a casserole (the best ones are stoneware, but this is
      not essential).
      Put into it layers in the following order:

      top
      ------
      1/2 of the tomatos
      rice
      1/2 of the vegetables
      meat
      1/2 of the vegetables
      1/2 of the tomatos
      --------
      bottom

      Add water and the rest of the oil. Cover and bake in
      a medium oven for
      2 hours and more. Serve from the dish in which you
      prepared the djuvec.
      It can be re-heated .

      Here is my notes from the library:

      Moslems brought rice from Middle East to Mediterranean
      about 900, but cultivation of rice in the area began
      only 500 years ago and ue of rice in diet long limited
      by the supply. (Another history says Romans used
      rice but only wealthy could afford it as it was
      imported from India.)

      Edgar anderson (botanist) says Turks diffused tomato
      into the Levant and Balkan countries.

      The Turks prob diffused American plants to eastern
      Mediterranean ctries in 16th cent when Ottoman Empire
      was dominant They picked up the plants in Spanish or
      Italian ports and took them to other ctries. Chilli
      pepper to Hungary in 1526.
      Peppers and maize also became popular items of the
      Blakan diet. ernand Braudel wrote turks introduced
      rice, sesame seeds, cotton, and maize int o the area
      in the 5th and 16th ctries.
      anderson noted that there is a wide and apparently
      coherent area encompassing the Balkans adn Tu5rkey and
      running along the edge of Iran toward Arabia and
      ethiopia, where th etomato has been used for centuries
      in the everday diet orf common people.

      Culinary legacy of Turks still evident in
      Mediterranean cuisine from Yugoslavia in the east to
      Algeria in the west.

      Sivas Halk Mutfagi (Turkish cookery):

      Gugum (double dots over both u's, short vowel sound
      over g) : Bakir su kaplari. work of coppersmith,
      this/ that/ the, ?

      Kosam : (Gosam) lki avucun dolusu kadar.

      Kulek : Yag, pekmez koymaya yarayan tahtadan
      silindirik, kapakli kap.

      Eastern Mediterranean Cooking: (Debasque)

      Guvec (double dots over u) - Turkey p 64 - meat
      casserole.
      Turkish Dictionary: guvec two dots on u, squiggle
      under c, guvecci - Earthenware cooking pot;
      (meat and ) vegetable casserole.

      2 small eggplants, sliced
      2 tsps salt
      4 tbsps butter
      2 pounds lamb in 1 in cubes
      2 sliced onions
      1/2 lb beans broken in half
      3 small zucchini in thick slices
      4 medium tomatoes peeled adn quartered
      1 tsp paprika
      2 tbsps chopped parsley

      Cacik (Turkey) p 80 - cucumbers in yogurt
      Cacik (sqiggles under both c's) is a yogurt dish

      pilitsh guveci, sebzeli (Turkey) p 74

      one 2 1/2 lb chicken cut in serving pieces
      2 tsps slat
      black pepper
      one pound eggplant, peeled adn sliced
      4tbsps olive oil
      2 onions thinly sliced
      2 small green peppers, seeded and cut into strips
      2 small zucchini thinly sliced
      4 ripe tomatoes peeled and sliced
      1 8 oz can okra drained and sliced
      3/4 lb string beans cut in pieces
      1 1/2 cps chicken broth

      Hatay Mutfagi Sempozyumu (Turkish cookery)

      Dugun pila vi - Antalya (long sounds over both u's,
      short vowel sound over g.

      Ebegumeci bugulasmasi, dolmasi, salatasi, Kaburga.
      salatasi = salad

      Govec (two dots over o, squiggle under c - Burdur,
      Isparta. (Sparta)

      Havuc (squiggle under c) domasi, sulusu - K. Maras.
      dolma = anything filled or stuffed such as meat, vegs
      stuffed w rice, meat.

      Komec (two dots over o, squiggle under c - ebe gomeci
      Yuvalak - G. Antep.

      The Cooking of Vienna's Empire

      Yugoslav recipes for many dishes harken back to farm
      meals in their use of tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.

      Dzuvec (with v over the c), the savory Serbian meat
      and vegetable casserole.

      Lovacki Djuvec (Hunter's stew)

      8 slices bacon, chopped
      1 1/2 cps chopped onions
      1 tsp chopped garlic
      1 cp sliced carrots
      2 cps water
      1/4 cp red wine vinegar
      3 lbs boneless beef cut in 2 in cubes
      1/ tsp salt
      black pepper
      1 cp converted rice
      2 medium green peppers sliced in strips
      1 1/4 cp beef stock
      salt.

      Turkish dictionaries:

      cokek (squiggle under c, two dotsover o; ~elek skim
      milk cheese

      gugum (two dots on each u, sort vowel sound on g) -
      copper vessel w handle, spout, lid.)

      o w two dots is as in eu in French peu.
      u w two dots is u in French tu.
      u is u as in bull.
      o as o in got.
      c w squiggle under it is ch as in church.
      c is j as in jar.
      j is s as in measure.
      s w squiggle under it is sh as in shut.
      g w short vowel sound over it is w hard vowels a
      gutteral and barely perceptible g ;
      w soft vowels pronounced y (eger = eyer)
      v between English v and w; itis sometimes
      interchangeable with g with a short vowel sound over
      it.
      dovmek = dogmek w short vowel sound over g.

      Yours,
      Dora

      http://auctions.yahoo.com