Re: [Czechlist] some IT terminology

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2000
      Ahoj Kostasi,

      >How would you translate "downloading" to Czech? I mean downloading files
      from the Internet, downloading from one device to another device (from PC to
      celular...)

      Ever since the exciting days of BBSs I have always seen "stahnout" used for
      downloading from the Internet, though if you're really hip apparently you
      say "downloadnout":). I know I am not the best person to tell you such
      things but I reckon that if you look the former word up you will see I am
      not giving you a bum steer.

      >Also, the topic is on remote control to play MP3 music files. In the
      sentence:
      "When pressed, skips back to the beginning of the current track or to the
      previous track."
      My question: what does the "track" exactly stand for?

      A track is a section on a medium such as a gramophone record, which normally
      corresponds to an individual piece of music. If you hold a gramophone record
      up to the light you can see half a dozen or so tracks on each side. Oddil?

      I'll leave your other question to the experts.

      Cheers,

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2000
        Thanks to Coilin, Zdenek and Melvyn. Its clear now.

        The important thing is that I know not to use "dowloadovat".-:))

        K.

        > FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

        > eGroups eLerts
        >
        > Czechlist homepage:
        > http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist
        >
        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
        > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
        > Digest: Czechlist-digest@egroups.com

      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 6 , May 8, 2000
          >My question: what does the "track" exactly stand for?

          Usually a track is one song, but it sometimes happens that two songs
          may be combined into one track or, conversely, that a longer piece
          may be split into multiple tracks (e.g. movements in a symphony). I
          haven't used MP3, but on a CD player a track is basically the unit
          for which the number changes on the LED display and that you can skip
          back and forth to.

          >And in the sentence:
          >"When held down during playback, searches forwards through the track."
          >Q: What is the "playback" exactly?

          Playback is just playing the music so you can listen to it.

          HTH,
          Michael

          Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (817) 514-6413