Soudni razitko - answers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2002
      For anyone interested:

      Tony's friend answered some of my questions, it seems having the stamps
      really puts you at the mercy of the court clergy, so I'm not
      interested........answers below (*********)

      CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
      most important:
      1) - An acquaintance in Ostrava whom I quizzed about
      translating when I first got back to Czecho told me once that when you do
      get one of those stamps, you are by law required to take ANY translation or
      interpreting job from whatever court issued the stamp for you, AT THEIR
      RATES (!) and terms, they pay crap and only half a year later, etc.
      etc.......
      He said they just send you documents or orders for interpreting in a
      registered letter and if you pick up the letter that's it, you have to do
      it......

      That seems very strange to me, but he insisted that's what happens and said
      that he gets around it by chatting up the mailwoman to leave him a message
      at the back of the registered letter slip whenever something from the local
      court arrives.....

      ***** v podstate je to pravda, ovsem zakon o tlumocnicich, na ktery vas
      odkazuji, rika, ze termin je nutno stanovit dohodou. V tom je snad jedina
      moznost, jak preklad nevzit. Jinak dorucovani a ceny jsou skutecne takove,
      jak pisete.

      2) Where do you apply for one (and is this where you work, i.e. Prague for
      me, or where you are registered (ZL) and have permanent residence, i.e.
      Ostrava for me...)

      **** Myslim, ze je to u krajskeho soudu v miste bydliste, ale nejsem si
      jist, protoze u mne jsou vsechna mista, o kterych pisete vyse, stejna.

      3) What are the requirements - I hear that some proof of formal education in
      translating might be necessary???

      **** Absolvent filosoficke (a mozna ze i pedagogicke) fakulty v danem
      jazyce anebo specialni tlumocnicka statni zkouska poradana statni jaz.
      skolou. Cisty tr. rejstrik. Cista lustrace. Mozna i dalsi, presnejsi info
      vam sdeli na rejstriku znalcu a tlumocniku prislusneho soudu.

      4) Is the stamp/certificate, whatever entitles you to do this, limited to
      one or several languages? Obviously I'm not intending to translate Icelandic
      and put the stamp on it if/when I get it...., but if I or a trustworthy
      translator did the translation and someone else was doing the red tape bit,
      would they (the holder of the stamp) need to hold the stamp for that
      language (i.e. does it say on the stamp which languages the person is
      authorized to use it for?)
      I know this is pushing it, but the whole thing is burreaucracy anyway, isn't
      it?, so as long as I trusted the person who did the translation, I could
      theoretically stamp it even in a language I'm not an expert at, my question
      is: is this technically correct, i.e. would the stamp be valid if, when
      looked up by the certificate number, it says that the person who stamped can
      only do so in such and such languages and this is not one of them, is this
      how it works?

      **** na razitku je uvedeno "tlumocnik jazyka ...anglickeho", napriklad.
      Nelze overovat v jazyce, na ktery nemate opravneni soudniho tlumocnika. A
      dale, overovani prekladu po cizich lidech je riskantni, ja sam to nedelam,
      protoze bych musel cely preklad kontrolovat s originalem, a protoze mam
      vysoke naroky na kvalitu, nikdy u mne zadny preklad neobstal. Pak vyvstava
      problem s provadenim oprav a odmenou za tuto cinnost.