Re: [Czechlist] TERMS: Movie legalese

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
      Thanks for comments on soudni razitko and for the contact, Tony, still
      interested if someone can confirm my friend's story about courts having
      their way with you if you get one AND, of course, in people in posession of
      the thing......

      As for the movie contract terms:

      > >positive print pozitivni kopie ???

      Just pozitiv is OK, kopie in Czech implies that it is one of several, so use
      pozitivni kopie if the contracts talks about lots of them, or use pozitiv if
      it talks about one (unless I'm mistaken, there is one "original" positive,
      of which copies are made, to save the original negative from wear and tear,
      so I presume the contract would be dealing with what to do with that one
      precious positive...)

      > >photonovel : fotoroman ???
      > >(A book of photos from the film with dialogues in balloons, something
      like
      > >a comics but not hand-drawn)

      I've never heard of that, is it used for the purpose of the film (as a
      replacement of the technical script - where the action is sketched,
      comic-like for the different trades to know where they are and what to
      do...) - then it couldn't be photos from the film, as these are only
      available after shooting....maybe it's used for editing purposes or
      something?

      or is this a merchandise that goes out after the film to help generate
      profit???
      "fotoroman" would sound like that to me, and the place to check the name
      would be teenage magazines, knew a photog once who shot those for the German
      BRAVO, try the Czech edition for what they call it...

      That's my two pence's....contact me if there are any technical terms to do
      with post-production and the like, Martin, my combined experience as a
      photog and ocassional translator for advert production companies should
      help.....

      Matej
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        Jamie, thanks a lot, you were a real help! As to the photoplay, they used it as a short name for the first movie made based on the book, so I suspected that had to be a synonym. Concerning fotoroman: I got 100+ hits on Google, so it´s at least used if not formally recognized.

        As to theatrical distributor, I think I´ll go for "filmovy distributor".

        Cheers!