TERMS: Movie legalese

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
      Hi folks,

      I am facing a tricky movies copyright contract. Would you help?

      Purchaser shall not be required to meet any terms of said offer that could not as readily be met by one party as by another.
      Kupuj�c� nemus� splnit z�dn� podm�nky uveden� v nab�dce, kter� by nemohla snadno splnit i nab�zej�c� strana. ???
      (Context: The author, when selling film rights to any future book, and having received an offer from a third party, has to notify the Purchaser (they buy an existing book rights now) and the Purhaser may submit the same offer and get the rights.)

      Know all men by these presents: That... Potvrzujeme t�mto, Ze ???
      (context: a general preamble cliche, something like Whereas. Strange, I have never seen this before, but there was a plenty of Google hits.)

      positive print pozitivni kopie ???

      photonovel : fotoroman ???
      (A book of photos from the film with dialogues in balloons, something like a comics but not hand-drawn)

      theatrical distributor distributor (filmu)???
      What I found in Google is a distributor having experience with story�s threatre presentation - but if you check several lists of TDs, they are mostly large movie distributing companies

      Publisher ' s Release Souhlas nakladatele?
      (A list of previous publications of the book)

      Photoplay - film
      (just a fancy word for the a movie, correct or wrong?)

      I am afraid you won�t find much more in Google - I have done the search already.

      MTIA

    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        In a message dated 1/4/02 5:35:15 AM, martinjanda@... writes:

        >I am facing a tricky movies copyright contract. Would you help?

        I'll try, but you'll have to put them into Czech.

        >Know all men by these presents: That... Potvrzujeme tímto, Ze ???
        >(context: a general preamble cliche, something like Whereas. Strange, I
        >have never seen this before, but there was a plenty of Google hits.)

        This is on my dad's will and on his trust documents. The expression must go
        back centuries. Your "potvrzujeme" clause is probably okay, but the original
        expression indicates that the document is meant to confirm the contents of
        the contract to the whole public.

        >positive print pozitivni kopie ???

        I think so. In other words, not a photographic negative.

        >photonovel : fotoroman ???
        >(A book of photos from the film with dialogues in balloons, something like
        >a comics but not hand-drawn)

        If "fotoroman" is acceptable Czech, then that's what it would be. The term
        "novel" has come to be used more and more in a comic book context. For
        example, there are more expensive Batman and Superman comics with a higher
        quality of artwork, and they are intended for adults. These are called
        "graphic novels", so I think "fotoroman" would probably work.

        >theatrical distributor distributor (filmu)???
        >What I found in Google is a distributor having experience with story´s
        >threatre presentation - but if you check several lists of TDs, they are
        >mostly large movie distributing companies

        Be careful, because there is more than one type of film distributor nowadays.
        The theatrical distributor would supply the film to the kino. This may or
        may not be the same company that provides it to the video store.

        >Publisher ' s Release Souhlas nakladatele?
        >(A list of previous publications of the book)

        "Release" is tricky. If it means publication of a book, then it would mean
        something like "vydani". However, "release" can also mean permission to do
        or use something. For example, when a photographer takes pictures of models
        or individuals in public for use in an advertisement or magazine, those he
        needs those people to sign a "release form" giving him legal permission to
        use their image in print. Before I would leave chaperone by myself a "vylet"
        for my high school kids in Marianske Lazne, someone would write up a document
        stating that I was not legally responsible for any injuries, deaths or
        pregnancies that occurred during the trip. That is also a type of release,
        because it releases me from legal liability. I can't tell from what you gave
        here whether "release" means "souhlas" or "vydani".

        >Photoplay - film
        >(just a fancy word for the a movie, correct or wrong?)

        Absolutely not. I would need more context, but I'm almost 100% certain this
        does not mean "film". "Photoplay" was the name of a movie fan magazine about
        half a century ago, but that doesn't exist anymore. It could mean screenplay
        ... Wait a minute! Webster's New World College Dictionary contradicts me,
        saying that "photoplay" is an "early name for film". That's news to me! I
        can't imagine it would still be used today, but there it is. It must be used
        now for something slightly different from "film", maybe something like a
        screenplay? Check for nuance.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
          Thanks for comments on soudni razitko and for the contact, Tony, still
          interested if someone can confirm my friend's story about courts having
          their way with you if you get one AND, of course, in people in posession of
          the thing......

          As for the movie contract terms:

          > >positive print pozitivni kopie ???

          Just pozitiv is OK, kopie in Czech implies that it is one of several, so use
          pozitivni kopie if the contracts talks about lots of them, or use pozitiv if
          it talks about one (unless I'm mistaken, there is one "original" positive,
          of which copies are made, to save the original negative from wear and tear,
          so I presume the contract would be dealing with what to do with that one
          precious positive...)

          > >photonovel : fotoroman ???
          > >(A book of photos from the film with dialogues in balloons, something
          like
          > >a comics but not hand-drawn)

          I've never heard of that, is it used for the purpose of the film (as a
          replacement of the technical script - where the action is sketched,
          comic-like for the different trades to know where they are and what to
          do...) - then it couldn't be photos from the film, as these are only
          available after shooting....maybe it's used for editing purposes or
          something?

          or is this a merchandise that goes out after the film to help generate
          profit???
          "fotoroman" would sound like that to me, and the place to check the name
          would be teenage magazines, knew a photog once who shot those for the German
          BRAVO, try the Czech edition for what they call it...

          That's my two pence's....contact me if there are any technical terms to do
          with post-production and the like, Martin, my combined experience as a
          photog and ocassional translator for advert production companies should
          help.....

          Matej
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
            Jamie, thanks a lot, you were a real help! As to the photoplay, they used it as a short name for the first movie made based on the book, so I suspected that had to be a synonym. Concerning fotoroman: I got 100+ hits on Google, so it´s at least used if not formally recognized.

            As to theatrical distributor, I think I´ll go for "filmovy distributor".

            Cheers!