Re: lekova forma a sila

  • Tony Long
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
      BR wrote:

      'Lekova forma = dosage form.
      Lekova sila = medicinal product strength.

      Go to the web page of Statni ustav pro kontrolu leciv (SUKL) and find
      there glossary of basic terms with English equivalents. Quite useful
      and for sure authoritative'.

      Not sure about that 'authoritative', BR. In three years of editing a three
      medical magazines and a decade of medical proof-reading I've met neither
      phrase.

      Both MIMS (the Monthly Index of Medical Specialities) and the British
      National Formulary refer to 'formulation' or 'presentation' to describe the
      form in which a drug is available:

      ''Two additional oral formulations have been added to the Kytril anti-emetic
      range; Kytril paediatric liquid and Kytril 2 mg tablets'' - MIMS

      ''Additional presentations'' is a catefory in MIMS devoted to new forms -
      tablets, capsules, enteric-coated, sustained release, and so on, of existing
      products.

      I'm also suspicious about 'medicinal product strength' but find it difficult
      to sort out without context: 'recommended dose', '(minimum) clinical dose',
      'clinically effective dosage' and 'threshold dosage' might be somewhere near
      it. The 'medicinal product' part may also be redundant/tautological (a
      common source of misunderstanding Cz-Eng) and it may just mean
      'dose'/'dosage' - or even nothing at all, since available doses are part of
      the presentation.

      MIMS presents a drug thus (together with indications, counter-indications,
      adverse reactions, etc):

      INDERAL LA Zeneca

      Non-cardioselective beta-blocker
      Propranolol hydroclor. 160 mg
      lavender-pink sust-release cap.
      marked INDERAL LA,
      28, price.

      ALSO

      HALF-INDERAL LA
      Propranolol hydrochlor. 80 mg
      [colour, marking]

      INDICATIONS: Angina
      ADULTS: 80 mg of 160 mg daily; max 240 mg daily,
      CHILDREN: Not recommended

      ALSO INDERAL TABLETS

      etc.

      Beware of 'State Office' glossaries - seems to me that they're often
      compiled by someone armed with a decades-old state exam and the kind of
      dictionary that used to make Cedok brochures such a joke.

      Best

      Tony
    • Dusan Papousek
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
        What's the translation of "lekova forma a sila" ? (Context: "zprava se vypracuje se zamerenim na lecive latky (healing substances)obsazene v pripravku spolecne pro vsechny lekove formy a sily").

        Thanks for helping me.
        D.P.

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2002
          In a message dated 1/3/02 5:13:35 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

          >> What's the translation of "lekova forma a sila" ? (Context: "zprava se
          >vypracuje se zamerenim na lecive latky (healing substances)obsazene v
          >pripravku spolecne pro vsechny lekove formy a sily").

          >Pokud je to mozne, alespon opisne bych prelozil:
          >"...for all final drug preparations and their concentrations."

          I think it would also be possible to say, "all medicinal forms and
          strengths," without it being Czenglish, depending on the context. We
          sometimes do say that something is sold or prepared "in medicinal form" or
          "in medicinal strength", when that substance might also come in a form or
          strength that is not useful for medicinal purposes.

          But someone who knows more about pharmaceuticals than I do should weigh in.

          Jamie
        • karel6005
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Dusan Papousek" <Papousek@m...> wrote:
            > What's the translation of "lekova forma a sila" ?

            Lekova forma = dosage form.
            Lekova sila = medicinal product strength.

            Go to the web page of Statni ustav pro kontrolu leciv (SUKL) and find
            there glossary of basic terms with English equivalents. Quite useful
            and for sure authoritative.

            BR

            Karel
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
              Hi Karel,

              Where the hell did you find the glossary? The only thing I was able to locate at their site is just Zkratky. No glossary with equivalents at all.

              As to the consequent discussion: I don´t know if it is fully or just partly relevant, even though being suspicious by default, but it´s better than nothing, if in need.

              Tx

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2002
                --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
                > Hi Karel,
                >
                > Where the hell did you find the glossary?

                Sorry, I was out for some days - now I have checked the site and
                indeed, I cannot find the damned document either. Used to be
                among 'pokyny' at sukl -> leciva -> registrace -> pokyny a formulare,
                one of the REG-xx papers. Unfortunately I have forgotten the exact
                REG-xx reference. It was not directly called 'glossary' but still it
                was a table of terms with equivalents in English. Must be buried in
                their updated web site somewhere, maybe a direct inquiry to the
                webmaster would help.

                BR

                Karel