Re: [Czechlist] Functionality

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
      A nice topic to talk about. Well, *is* there any need for funkcnost at all? AFAIK, it´s just a fancy word for functions, i.e. funkce. Er, not to be confused with "funkcnost zarizeni", i.e. something like device operability.

      Thanks for words of praise to my greeting. It took me a while to select it, among zillions of others. I belive its pretty much about our translator everyday hardwork, isn´t it?

      If you need a one to, try http://wisdom_quotes.tripod.com/

      Cheers!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
        > A nice topic to talk about. Well, *is* there any need for funkcnost
        at all? AFAIK, it´s just a fancy word for functions, i.e. funkce.

        Well, here's a couple of IT definitions that you will
        probably appreciate:

        functionality

        <programming> Waffle for "features" or "function". The capabilities
        or behaviours of a program, part of a program, or system, seen as the
        sum of its features. Roughly, "the things it can do". Generally used
        in a comparitive sense, e.g. "The latest update adds some useful
        functionality".

        Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2001 Denis
        Howe

        functionality

        In information technology, functionality is the sum or any aspect of
        what a product, such as a software application or computing device,
        can do for a user.

        "The sum or any aspect" sums it up nicely for me. Functions can be
        spin-offs from other combined functions and sometimes there is no
        fixed sum of discrete functions to be exhaustively listed. For me the
        word 'functionality' suggests not only the functions themselves but
        also the interplay between these functions but then I have always been
        a big fan of nice pseudy words like this.

        > try http://wisdom_quotes.tripod.com/

        What's this? A site where all human wisdom has been gathered together?
        Does it have any good conclusions?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
          Well, I must admit there is a slight difference, at least from what you say, but I am not sure if it´s significant enough to coin a new word for it, especially when this subtle difference is totally unknown to Czech users (and you have no space to explain in your translation). For most of the time, I believe plural of "funkce" or rada funkci" would do.

          As to wisdoms, it´s just a collection of fancy quotes for various greetings or if you want to show off to a beautiful woman (could be handy when you want to impress your Hana ;-).

          Cheers!
          > A nice topic to talk about. Well, *is* there any need for funkcnost
          at all? AFAIK, it´s just a fancy word for functions, i.e. funkce.

          Well, here's a couple of IT definitions that you will
          probably appreciate:

          functionality

          <programming> Waffle for "features" or "function". The capabilities
          or behaviours of a program, part of a program, or system, seen as the
          sum of its features. Roughly, "the things it can do". Generally used
          in a comparitive sense, e.g. "The latest update adds some useful
          functionality".

          Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2001 Denis
          Howe

          functionality

          In information technology, functionality is the sum or any aspect of
          what a product, such as a software application or computing device,
          can do for a user.

          "The sum or any aspect" sums it up nicely for me. Functions can be
          spin-offs from other combined functions and sometimes there is no
          fixed sum of discrete functions to be exhaustively listed. For me the
          word 'functionality' suggests not only the functions themselves but
          also the interplay between these functions but then I have always been
          a big fan of nice pseudy words like this.

          > try http://wisdom_quotes.tripod.com/

          What's this? A site where all human wisdom has been gathered together?
          Does it have any good conclusions?

          M.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com