Re: HELP: TERM pevne luzko

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
      <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:

      > Hi there folks!
      >
      > Would any of you happen to know if we have a stock phrase for "pevna
      luzka"
      > in English?
      >
      > The term refers to the beds that are normally in a hotel room
      (i.e.before an
      > additional bed is added).
      >
      > I have come across a handful of google hits for "fixed beds" that
      look
      > reasonable, but they are in bad (Czenglish) company.
      >
      > Any suggestions welcome.
      >
      > Best regards Coilin

      I ran <"extra bed" hotel> through a search engine to see if it
      contrasted with any other type of bed in a statistically significant
      sort of way. Most prominent were the references to "std single",
      "standard double bed" and so forth in immediate proximity to "extra
      bed". Could "standard" be a pragmatic equivalent?

      M.
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        Thanks for the suggestion Melvyn.

        I eventually went for something like "the set number of beds in each room".
        This might seem a bit slavish but it fitted my context. I felt that
        "standard bed" might possibly have been misconstrued as the type of bed you
        sleep on if you are of average height and build and don´t need a kingsize
        mattress, etc.

        I reckon "pevne luzko" is something that can be filed under weird Czech
        tourism terms that don´t translate very well in English (e.g. anyone fancy a
        poznavaci pobyt?) :-)

        Best regards

        Coilin

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
          Coilin wrote:

          > I reckon "pevne luzko" is something that can be filed under weird
          Czech tourism terms that don´t translate very well in English (e.g.
          anyone fancy a poznavaci pobyt?) :-)

          Yes, how about a nice 7-day STAY WITH SIGHTSEEING EXCURSIONS in and
          around Kamenne Zehrovice?

          (We don't actually have sightseeing attractions as such here but we do
          have the quarries where many of the sightseeing attractions came from
          - all overgrown and flooded and enveloped by the forests. The
          National Theatre quarry is now a magic grotto where the fairies put on
          performances at twilight for those who can see them...)

          But I digress. You might be interested to have a look at "Mala
          encyklopedie cestovniho ruchu - vybrane pojmy v cestine a anglictine,
          definice, zkratky" by Jiri Cech, published by Idea Servis 1998. It
          doesn't have 'poznavaci pobyt' but it does bring this rather fuzzy
          area of jargon into some focus, e.g.:
          pobytovy zajezd - akce pobytoveho cestovniho ruchu

          Pobytovy cestovni ruch - cestovni ruch, jehoz ucastnici jsou zpravidla
          ubytovani v jednom miste, v nemz se realizuje prevazna cast programu,
          nebo jez je vychodiskem ruznych bodu programu realizovanych jinde
          (napr. vylet, exkurze)

          Compare toulavy cestovni ruch - cestovni ruch zpravidla s poznavaci a
          seznamovaci naplni, jehoz soucasti je navsteva nekolika ci vice mist
          na vytcene trase.

          No English translations are offered and off the top of my head I
          cannot come up with anything better than "hotel-based round trip",
          "single-hotel-based tourism" and "mobile tourism". :(