FUN: Least-wanted list

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi Listmates,

      A happy and cliche-free New Year to you all. Thought you might be interested
      in the latest futile, if well-meaning, attempt by the academics to impose
      order on the anarchy that is the English language:

      http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/humanities/story/0,9850,626801,00.htm

      Simon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        A nice list indeed. I would be strongly in favour of banning functionality, for one. But the friendly fire sounds great too.

        Cheers!
        A happy and cliche-free New Year to you all. Thought you might be interested
        in the latest futile, if well-meaning, attempt by the academics to impose
        order on the anarchy that is the English language:

        http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/humanities/story/0,9850,626801,00.htm

        Simon

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
          > A nice list indeed. I would be strongly in favour of banning
          functionality, for one.

          Ah but then how would we translate 'funkcnost'?

          Martin, many thanks for your New Year's greeting. As I am the kind of
          cheapskate who reuses old Christmas cards, and as such a fine
          sentiment is expressed in your greeting, I would like to recycle it
          here:

          The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in
          your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of
          right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's
          plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily
          bread are the sweetest things in life. Robert Louis Stevenson

          M.
        • jurpelka
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
            Zdravim vsechny lidi dobre vule,

            ten seznam by bylo prihodne vypracovat i v cestine - mi favorite by
            byly terminy a spojeni jako napr.

            - humanni bombardovani
            - kobercove bombardovani
            - ekoteroriste, ekoterorismus, zeleni teroriste, zeleny terorismus
            - tato zeme, tento stat, tato republika (KDYZ CESKY POLITIK HOVORI O
            CESKE REPUBLICE, NAMISTO ABY REKL "NASE ZEME, NAS STAT, NASE
            REPUBLIKA")
            - opozicni smlouva, smluvni opozice
            - sametova revoluce
            - pliziva evropska integrace
            - je to "o" necem
            - desivy, desive, straslivy, straslive
            - ja bych jenom chtel podotknout
            - to je mimo me chapani, to jde mimo me, to je mimo mou rozlisovaci
            schonost apod.
            - byt za vodou
            - penize jsou az na prvnim miste
            - nespravne pouzivani mekkeho "i" v minulem case, obcas viditelne na
            sportovnich strankach deniku, jako napr. "fotbalove organy se ...
            dohodli"
            - prekladani anglickeho "Call me ASAP" jako "ZAVOLEJTE MI PANA ASAPA"

            Tesim se na doplneni.

            Jirka
          • jurpelka
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
              Hi Martin and Melvyn,

              I would add the old phrase that "The best things in life are for
              free".

              Jirka