HELP: TERM pevne luzko

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi there folks!

      Would any of you happen to know if we have a stock phrase for "pevna luzka"
      in English?

      The term refers to the beds that are normally in a hotel room (i.e.before an
      additional bed is added).

      I have come across a handful of google hits for "fixed beds" that look
      reasonable, but they are in bad (Czenglish) company.

      Any suggestions welcome.

      Best regards Coilin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
        <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:

        > Hi there folks!
        >
        > Would any of you happen to know if we have a stock phrase for "pevna
        luzka"
        > in English?
        >
        > The term refers to the beds that are normally in a hotel room
        (i.e.before an
        > additional bed is added).
        >
        > I have come across a handful of google hits for "fixed beds" that
        look
        > reasonable, but they are in bad (Czenglish) company.
        >
        > Any suggestions welcome.
        >
        > Best regards Coilin

        I ran <"extra bed" hotel> through a search engine to see if it
        contrasted with any other type of bed in a statistically significant
        sort of way. Most prominent were the references to "std single",
        "standard double bed" and so forth in immediate proximity to "extra
        bed". Could "standard" be a pragmatic equivalent?

        M.
      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
          Thanks for the suggestion Melvyn.

          I eventually went for something like "the set number of beds in each room".
          This might seem a bit slavish but it fitted my context. I felt that
          "standard bed" might possibly have been misconstrued as the type of bed you
          sleep on if you are of average height and build and don´t need a kingsize
          mattress, etc.

          I reckon "pevne luzko" is something that can be filed under weird Czech
          tourism terms that don´t translate very well in English (e.g. anyone fancy a
          poznavaci pobyt?) :-)

          Best regards

          Coilin

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
            Coilin wrote:

            > I reckon "pevne luzko" is something that can be filed under weird
            Czech tourism terms that don´t translate very well in English (e.g.
            anyone fancy a poznavaci pobyt?) :-)

            Yes, how about a nice 7-day STAY WITH SIGHTSEEING EXCURSIONS in and
            around Kamenne Zehrovice?

            (We don't actually have sightseeing attractions as such here but we do
            have the quarries where many of the sightseeing attractions came from
            - all overgrown and flooded and enveloped by the forests. The
            National Theatre quarry is now a magic grotto where the fairies put on
            performances at twilight for those who can see them...)

            But I digress. You might be interested to have a look at "Mala
            encyklopedie cestovniho ruchu - vybrane pojmy v cestine a anglictine,
            definice, zkratky" by Jiri Cech, published by Idea Servis 1998. It
            doesn't have 'poznavaci pobyt' but it does bring this rather fuzzy
            area of jargon into some focus, e.g.:
            pobytovy zajezd - akce pobytoveho cestovniho ruchu

            Pobytovy cestovni ruch - cestovni ruch, jehoz ucastnici jsou zpravidla
            ubytovani v jednom miste, v nemz se realizuje prevazna cast programu,
            nebo jez je vychodiskem ruznych bodu programu realizovanych jinde
            (napr. vylet, exkurze)

            Compare toulavy cestovni ruch - cestovni ruch zpravidla s poznavaci a
            seznamovaci naplni, jehoz soucasti je navsteva nekolika ci vice mist
            na vytcene trase.

            No English translations are offered and off the top of my head I
            cannot come up with anything better than "hotel-based round trip",
            "single-hotel-based tourism" and "mobile tourism". :(