Re: [Czechlist] Re: lead batteries, accumulators...

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      In a message dated 1/2/02 5:34:06 AM, Sabina.Kralova@... writes:

      >olovene akumulatory
      >nikl-kadmiove baterie
      >alkalicke galvanicke clanky
      >
      >Via Google I found: lead batteries, nickel-cadmium batteries and alkaline
      >batteries - but I do not know whether this is correct. Don't understand
      >the technical difference between akumulator, baterie a galvanicky clanek, and
      >the text I am to translate distinguishes these three terms.

      This may be a situation where you need clarification from the client. One of
      the definitions of "akumulator" in the Cesko-anglicky technicky slovnik is
      "battery (US)", and the dictionaries I have here from English-speaking
      countries list "accumulator" and "battery" as being exactly the same thing
      ("accumulator" being listed as British and "battery" being designated as
      American). The Random House Dictionary of the English Language lists
      "galvanic cell" as being equivalent in meaning to "battery" and
      "accumulator". The American Heritage Dictionary of Science lists "galvanic
      cell", gives a description of a battery, and also says the expression is
      synonymous with "voltaic cell". That dictionary does not even list "battery"
      or "accumulator". Part of the explanation of "cell" in that dictionary says,
      "A battery consists of one or more cells." So, evidently a cell is an
      electrical generating unit, and a battery is thought of as some assembly.
      However, on the street, people tend to think of "cell" and "battery" as
      equivalent.

      So, in English, these three terms are apparently equivalent, for the most
      part. If there is a distinction between them, it may be peculiar to your
      client's company or industry, or it may be too fine to show up in
      dictionaries. (Or it may even be Czenglish.) I would just ask the client.

      Jamie
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        In a message dated 1/2/02 7:27:49 AM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

        >You can _recharge an accumulator_, which applies to both
        >lead (acid) and nickel-cadmium kinds, as opposed to a
        >_galvanic cell_, which you _can't_.

        Note that in the US we refer to rechargeable nickel-cadmium and lead
        "batteries".

        Jamie
      • Petr Jarolím
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          niklkadmiove bateriove are akumulatory in CZ (batteries in ENG) and can be
          recharged
          olovene akumulatory are akumulatory in CZ (baterries in ENG) and can be
          recharged
          alkalicke galvanicke clanky can not be recharged (cells in ENG)
          Hana