CHAT I can't keep up with you guys

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 1999
      Ahoj vespolek,

      > >Changing of Repy to Beets,

      This was originally a flight of fancy of mine, just to illustrate how absurd
      it might be if we anglicized all names with ruthless consistency. But for
      personal names of historical figures in popularizations, I accept it usually
      works even if there is a case for adding local colour. Maybe a good policy
      would be to anglicize names that can be anglicized without becoming
      unrecognizable, keep the Borivojs as Borivojs cos there's not much else you
      can do with them and for curiosities like Vojtech = Adalbert (see list of
      names in back of big red dictionary) well, I don't know...if it sounds
      German, stick it in too just to show how cosmopolitan this place is. Not
      very scientific, I know.

      Tonight I shall dream of walking down the newly renamed Acacia Avenue with
      the McDonalds and that cute museum and the statue of that East Frankish
      fall-guy at the bottom.

      >isn�t it also an
      >acquisitory
      > >approach? After the battle, to acquire new territories through sending
      > >translators there and modyfying proper names into the language of
      >winners?

      Curses, you have seen through our little scheme. Yes I confess - THEY sent
      me here to re-signpost all the Prague suburbs while nobody was looking.
      Resistance is futile old chap. Back with a nice suntan then Kostas? How are
      you fixed for a meeting sometime Friday afternoon to discuss your plans? BTW
      you might be having difficulty with that poem because of the word "quoth" -
      like old Czech "del" or "vece" meaning "he said". Bit pseudo-archaic if you
      ask me.

      Some messages are not getting through. From past experience, this happens if
      you do not enter the exact e-mail address you registered under - capital
      letters and all. Somehow I suspect this is not the problem this time,
      however. Any theories? I answered Irena offlist as best I could.

      Melvyn
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 1999
        >Maybe a good policy would be to anglicize names
        >that can be anglicized without becoming
        >unrecognizable, keep the Borivojs as Borivojs
        >cos there's not much else you can do with them and
        >for curiosities like Vojtech = Adalbert (see list of
        >names in back of big red dictionary) well, I don't know...
        >f it sounds German, stick it in too just to show how
        >cosmopolitan this place is. Not very scientific, I know.

        I can live with this approach. Just for fun: Chambers' implies that Saxon
        Adalbert = O.E. Ethelbert, apparently...

        Alastair