Re: [Czechlist] Re: lead batteries, accumulators...

  • Sabina Králová
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      could someone help me, please, with:

      olovene akumulatory
      nikl-kadmiove baterie
      alkalicke galvanicke clanky

      Via Google I found: lead batteries, nickel-cadmium batteries and alkaline
      batteries - but I do not know whether this is correct. Don't understand the
      technical difference between akumulator, baterie a galvanicky clanek, and
      the text I am to translate distinguishes these three terms.
      Thanks
      Sabina Kralova
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        Dear Sabina,

        > olovene akumulatory
        > nikl-kadmiove baterie
        > alkalicke galvanicke clanky

        Very generally:

        You can _recharge an accumulator_, which applies to both
        lead (acid) and nickel-cadmium kinds, as opposed to a
        _galvanic cell_, which you _can't_.

        There are different kinds of galvanic cells, depending of
        what materials the electrodes are from and what material the
        electrolyte is. Alkaline (galvanic) cell means the
        electrolyte is _alkaline as opposed to acid_. The word
        "cell" alone, however, can also refer to an accumulator
        type; you might then speak about a "rechargable cell".
        Again, there are quite a few different kinds of different
        materials.

        Battery, strictly speaking, is a _group of cells_ while a
        cell is only one set of, two, electrodes in an electrolyte.
        A battery is typically in one physical unit and (,
        internally,) usually connected in series (as opposed to "in
        parallel"), which adds together voltages of the cells. Since
        language is a precise tool in inexact usage, a lot of people
        often call even a single cell a battery.

        More specifically:

        I believe there are more than one type of lead accumulators,
        so <lead accumulator> should do fine, but I equally believe
        that the most common type, the one you probably have in your
        car, is lead acid accumulator.

        <Nickel-cadmium battery> or nickel-cadmium cell or
        nickel-cadmium accumulator all make sense, the first one
        being probably most often used.

        I've never practically encountered the two attributives,
        alkaline and galvanic, together, however an <alkaline
        galvanic cell> sounds okay to me. Common folks just say
        <alkaline battery> most of the time, though.

        Hope I haven't made it too complicated for you. Good luck
        with the translation...

        Jirka Bolech
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          In a message dated 1/2/02 5:34:06 AM, Sabina.Kralova@... writes:

          >olovene akumulatory
          >nikl-kadmiove baterie
          >alkalicke galvanicke clanky
          >
          >Via Google I found: lead batteries, nickel-cadmium batteries and alkaline
          >batteries - but I do not know whether this is correct. Don't understand
          >the technical difference between akumulator, baterie a galvanicky clanek, and
          >the text I am to translate distinguishes these three terms.

          This may be a situation where you need clarification from the client. One of
          the definitions of "akumulator" in the Cesko-anglicky technicky slovnik is
          "battery (US)", and the dictionaries I have here from English-speaking
          countries list "accumulator" and "battery" as being exactly the same thing
          ("accumulator" being listed as British and "battery" being designated as
          American). The Random House Dictionary of the English Language lists
          "galvanic cell" as being equivalent in meaning to "battery" and
          "accumulator". The American Heritage Dictionary of Science lists "galvanic
          cell", gives a description of a battery, and also says the expression is
          synonymous with "voltaic cell". That dictionary does not even list "battery"
          or "accumulator". Part of the explanation of "cell" in that dictionary says,
          "A battery consists of one or more cells." So, evidently a cell is an
          electrical generating unit, and a battery is thought of as some assembly.
          However, on the street, people tend to think of "cell" and "battery" as
          equivalent.

          So, in English, these three terms are apparently equivalent, for the most
          part. If there is a distinction between them, it may be peculiar to your
          client's company or industry, or it may be too fine to show up in
          dictionaries. (Or it may even be Czenglish.) I would just ask the client.

          Jamie
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
            In a message dated 1/2/02 7:27:49 AM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

            >You can _recharge an accumulator_, which applies to both
            >lead (acid) and nickel-cadmium kinds, as opposed to a
            >_galvanic cell_, which you _can't_.

            Note that in the US we refer to rechargeable nickel-cadmium and lead
            "batteries".

            Jamie
          • Petr Jarolím
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
              niklkadmiove bateriove are akumulatory in CZ (batteries in ENG) and can be
              recharged
              olovene akumulatory are akumulatory in CZ (baterries in ENG) and can be
              recharged
              alkalicke galvanicke clanky can not be recharged (cells in ENG)
              Hana