Czechlist's long lost weekend - Digest 1 cont.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2001
      __

      Message: 15
      Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:34:44 -0600
      From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>
      Subject: Re: Czech-ia, -lands....etc.

      On 11/6/2001 3:40, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:

      > Even if the demise of the nation state never comes to pass, we could
      still
      > refer to the Czech Republic as 'Bohemia and Moravia', on the model
      of
      > 'Trinidad and Tobago' and 'England and Wales'...and 'Sodom and
      Gomorrah'.

      ... Bosnia-Herzegovina...
      Michael

      < http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954

      __
      __

      Message: 16
      Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:40:23 -0600
      From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: CHAT: Film "Kaktus" a vyslovnost

      On 11/6/2001 5:41, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@...> wrote:

      > ja souchlasila kompletment! Mais nemasch prrrravdu s tim neemym "h",
      some
      > French go as far as to put the h into english words where it has
      nothing to
      > do and over-pronounce it....one engineer I interpreted for would
      > repeatedlysay "You have to kick their HHHass, non?" when swearing
      about bad
      > workmanship of some subcontractor or other......

      Kinda like the way many Czechs and Germans will pronounce perfectly
      normal
      'v' sounds in English as 'w' ("Do you have a wase for ze flowers?").
      ;-)
      Michael

      < http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954

      __
      __

      Message: 17
      Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:50:20 +0100
      From: "Irena Steinerova" <irena.steinerova@...>

      Hi Melvyn,

      >Reminds me of the classic mistake when students confuse 'I mean' for
      >'I think' - I've never figured out what this error is based on.

      I think:-) the reason may be that "I mean" ~ mam na mysli ~ myslim ~
      "I
      think"
      Irena
      PS: Now I see that Matej has already explained it... Nevermind - hope
      to see
      you all on Thursday

      __
      __

      Message: 18
      Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:47:01 -0600
      From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: vegetacni upravy

      On 11/6/2001 5:14, "Dusan Papousek" <Papousek@...> wrote:

      > There is a firm whose business name is "Vegetacni upravy Decin",
      which I
      > translated (right or wrong) as "Vegetation treatments Decin".

      First of all, company names (and personal names for that matter)
      generally
      should NOT be translated. If it's necessary for the reader to
      understand the
      company's line of business from the name, it might be acceptable to
      include
      a translation in parentheses after the untranslated name.

      I found on
      > google that "vegetation treatment/treatments" is a frequently used
      term
      > describing activities in Canada, US, etc., similar or the same to
      those of
      > that Czech firm.

      I've never heard that expression. I'd probably call it something like
      "groundskeeping" or "landscape maintenance".

      > There is another Czech word related to these activities, namely
      "ozeleneni",
      > which I do not like very much and try to avoid its translation as
      > "greening", but sometimes it's not quite possible.

      This would probably be "landscaping", although the English term is
      somewhat
      broader.

      > Another related problem: How to translate "Vyssi zahradnicka skola"
      - Higher
      > Vocational School for Horticulture?

      Sure, that could work, but make it "... of Horticulture".

      Michael
      < http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954

      __
      __

      Message: 19
      Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:03:52 +0100
      From: "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@...>

      > Kinda like the way many Czechs and Germans will pronounce perfectly
      normal
      > 'v' sounds in English as 'w' ("Do you have a wase for ze flowers?").
      > ;-)
      > Michael

      It always used to make me laugh when my German friend at university
      talked of "willages" and "wirgins". Then the other day a Czech friend
      was talking about a painting of a woman wearing a "whale". (She meant
      veil :)) But I don't quite understand why there should be this
      confusion, when both German and Czech do have a voiced "v" sound, and
      neither have a "w" sound. Can anybody explain?

      And are there any funny typical mistakes that English speakers make in
      Czech? Is there any letter confusion like this v/w thing, or do we
      just
      normally have problems producing soft consonants and r^ and so on?

      Rachel

      __
      __

      Message: 20
      Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:47:11 +0100
      From: "Tony Long" <tonylong@...>
      Subject: Sprung Franglais

      Tu edd ma dix-centime-werth, some of the most amusing sprung Franglais
      know appears in Steve Bell's cartoons (responsible for at least half
      of the
      Grauniad's circulation for ten years - the other half was teachers
      looking
      for better jobs).

      Extract from dialogue between 'Monsieur le War Artiste' and
      ultra-intelligent 'Stingwhelk' mine:

      UIS: I've been a member of Mensa since I was six months old
      MWA: 'Mensa'? What is zis 'Mensa'?
      UIS: Actually, it's an organisation for the EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT!...
      MWA: Ahhhh..You mean zat burnch of ouanqueres 'oo lark doing
      purzzles?...
      [...]
      MWA: Listen to moi, you silly leedle burx of treeks, if you 'ave to
      join
      stupide urganisations lark 'Mensa' zat in eetzelf iz urn admission of
      chronique inadequacy!!!

      a.t.d. and turn on ze pzrie-zvurk Francais fur ze beeg werds...

      See y'all

      Tony

      __
      __

      Message: 21
      Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:34:18 +0100
      From: "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@...>
      Subject: Re: testing

      just testing

      __
      __

      Message: 22
      Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 12:06:48 -0600
      From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>

      On 11/6/2001 9:26, "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@...> wrote:

      > How about "Small Britain"? :-)

      That's actually Brittany (Bretagne).
      Michael

      < http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954

      __
      __

      Message: 23
      Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 12:10:33 -0600
      From: Michael Grant <mgrant@...>

      On 11/6/2001 11:03, "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@...>
      wrote:

      > But I don't quite understand why there should be this
      > confusion, when both German and Czech do have a voiced "v" sound,
      and
      > neither have a "w" sound. Can anybody explain?

      I presume it's because there IS only one 'v' sound in Czech and
      German,
      whereas in English there are two, and it's hard to keep straight when
      to use
      the 'w' sound and when not to.

      > And are there any funny typical mistakes that English speakers make
      in
      > Czech? Is there any letter confusion like this v/w thing, or do we
      just
      > normally have problems producing soft consonants and r^ and so on?

      There prob'ly aren't enough Czech-speaking English natives for
      anything to
      be considered "typical"....

      Michael

      < http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954

      __
      __

      Message: 24
      Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:01:32 +0100
      From: "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@...>

      > On 11/6/2001 3:40, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Even if the demise of the nation state never comes to pass, we
      could
      still
      > > refer to the Czech Republic as 'Bohemia and Moravia', on the model
      of
      > > 'Trinidad and Tobago' and 'England and Wales'...and 'Sodom and
      Gomorrah'.

      > ... Bosnia-Herzegovina...
      > Michael

      Exactly, Michael.
      And on the other side: Cesko = Great Serbia.

      Kostas

      __
      __

      Message: 25
      Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:48:53 +0100
      From: "Miroslav Herold" <miroslav_herold@...>

      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
      mobil: 0606 865870
      >Even if the demise of the nation state never comes to pass, we could
      still
      >refer to the Czech Republic as 'Bohemia and Moravia', on the model of
      >'Trinidad and Tobago' and 'England and Wales'...and 'Sodom and
      Gomorrah'.

      If this happens in 2050, then it might work, since all citizens
      remembering
      the implications of Bohmen und Mahren will be safely dreaming their
      dreams
      in the cemeteries. If it happens earlier, anything bringing back -
      even
      coincidentally - the reminiscences of Germans/Germany and occupation
      will be
      deeply disliked by the older part of population.

      BR

      Mirek
      ---------