Re: Comprehensive list of chemicals revisited

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2001
      About six weeks ago, there was information on this list that a comprehensive list of about 2000 chemicals in Czech, English and French is available via www.upv.cz/data/pdf/trideni/mtvs/vyrobky_trid.pdf.

      I checked the names of about 1000 of them with the following conclusion. First of all, rather than names of chemical substances or chemicals, there are names of chemical products in this list. As for the names of chemical substances, this document is not quite reliable. For example, "bismuth nitrite" is not "dusicnan bizmutity" but "dusitan bizmutity". Furthermore, archaic names of chemical substances are consistently used throughout the document. For example, "salmiak" is called "sal ammoniac", although a chemist would always use "ammonium chloride". I had some problems when I saw for example "dvojchroman draselny" translated as "bichromate of potassium", although for a chemist this is always "potassium dichromate". The tranlations of the type "XXX of YYY" are used very frequently in the document (nitrate of uranium, bichloride of tin, etc.). I am certainly not a fundamentalist as for chemical nomenclature but I think this is something generally accepted in chemistry and it is better to use it consistently. This is probably a problem of engineers and technicians who are used to the obsolete names of chemical products. The source language seems to be Czech in this document, however, I found "kapalina pro asistovane rizeni" as a translation (?] of "power steering fluid".

      This is a large document (244 pages) with many other names of products which I am not going to check - it may be still useful.

      D. P.