Re: [Czechlist] TERM: MBA

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2001
      In a message dated 12/25/01 5:01:48 PM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

      >if somebody "gained an MBA as a Professional Engineer", what
      >could I put it as in Czech? I'm fairly clueless about this
      >one, although I figure that MBA stands for Master of
      >Business Administration. The person at issue "was educated
      >at Cleveland State University in Metallurgical Engineering".
      >Could I just simply say he "ziskal inzenyrsky titul"
      >(zi'skal inz^eny'rsky' titul)?

      The webpage for the MBA program at Cleveland State (
      http://www.cba.csuohio.edu/mba/amba.htm) lists nothing that would indicate
      that anyone would earn a title like "Professional Engineer" upon completion.
      It is a general management program with no real technical component. It
      sounds to me as if the person has his BS in engineering, and then continued
      on to get this MBA. So, as a professional engineer (for some reason many
      Americans like to capitalize anything), probably with some experience under
      his belt, he most likely went on to get his MBA to add some management and
      financial skills.

      You can't say that he ziskal inzenyrsky titul, because there is no such titul
      in the US. (This is why Americans reading Czech business brochures or
      websites think that most Czech men are named Ignatius or something like
      that.) As I say, it sounds like he had already begun to work professionally
      as an engineer (a bachelor's and a master's bestow no title on you here), and
      after he had been working as a professional engineer, he went and got his MBA.

      I'd like to hear other opinions, if anyone has one.