Re: [Czechlist] Next meetings

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 21, 2001
      Great, Slavka. I am voting in favour; my only problem is I won´t be there
      ever before half past seven.
      Best wishes for all

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 21, 2001
        Hi everybody!

        Yesterday I met Melvyn and we were speaking about many things and also about
        meetings of Czechlist circle members in a pub and we both said that we
        like these meetings very much. Then, when I asked why we do not do them
        frequently Melvyn said that usually we wait until he arrange this meeting
        and unfortunately he is right. As we were speaking about it I thought that
        we should find a solution which would be easy and did not depend only on
        Melvyn and this is the reason why I write this letter. I think that we
        should arrange something like �V �est ve�er po v�lce u Kalicha�. For us
[...]

      • Rubková
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 22, 2001
          Hi,
          it is perfect but I don't know, where Tlusta Koala is.

          Sarka

          Great, Slavka. I am voting in favour; my only problem is I won´t be there
          ever before half past seven.
          Best wishes for all

          > Yesterday I met Melvyn and we were speaking about many things and also
          about
          > meetings of Czechlist circle members in a pub and we both said that we
          > like these meetings very much. Then, when I asked why we do not do them
          > frequently Melvyn said that usually we wait until he arrange this meeting
          > and unfortunately he is right. As we were speaking about it I thought that
          > we should find a solution which would be easy and did not depend only on
          > Melvyn and this is the reason why I write this letter. I think that we
          > should arrange something like ?V ?est večer po válce u Kalicha?. For us
          > ?Each Thursday (or each first Thursday in month) at five at Tlusta Koala?
          > for example. Some Thursdays there can be ten people, some Thursdays two
          or
          > nobody ? but we will know that if we come to this pub at about five
          > probably there will be somebody from our circle. I am not sure whether it
          > will work good from the beginning - we will probably have to help it a
          > little if we decide for this but as time goes by it could work. Please
          > write me what do you think about this. My idea is to have a possibility to
          > meet people who are interested in Czech ? English and English ? Czech
          > translations but also speak to people about things who are around us and
          > discuss these things.
          >
          > I wish you Merry Christmas and happy and successful new year.
          >
          > I am looking forward to hearing of you (or meeting you) soon.
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Slavka

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

        • ottop1
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 22, 2001
            I am always in favour of any get-together but I have a similar
            problem to Martin. I won't be able to come before a quarter past
            seven or so.

            Hope to see you at Fat Koala soon!

            Merry Christmas and a great New Year to all of you!

            Otto
          • tomas_barendregt
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 22, 2001
              --- In Czechlist@y..., Rubková <rubkova@l...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > it is perfect but I don't know, where Tlusta Koala is.
              >
              > Sarka

              Senovazna 8; at least that's what I found on the web... At this
              information age, it seems that not knowing where a place is is no
              longer possible. I have never been there and live in Denver, CO but
              my friend Quick.cz revealed the location in less than a minute.

              Imagine how quickly I would have found out had I used Google ;-)

              Tom
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 23, 2001
                Tomas B. wrote:

                >Senovazna 8; at least that's what I found on the web... At this
                >information age, it seems that not knowing where a place is is no
                >longer possible. I have never been there and live in Denver, CO but
                >my friend Quick.cz revealed the location in less than a minute.

                >Imagine how quickly I would have found out had I used Google ;-)

                What? My cue? Oh right:

                >"Google searched the web for "tlusta koala". Search took 0.13
                seconds:

                Tlusta Koala Senovazna 8 Praha 1 Tel: +420 2 4226005
                ...across the road from the CNB. Originally designed as
                an English-style pub, it is now under new management (reputedly
                Russian). Hope you can join us there, Sarka. . ...
                >groups.yahoo.com/group/svepomoc/messages - 25k - Cached - Similar
                pages

                How's that for speed, Colorado Kid?? :) So how do people in Denver
                spend Christmas? Here in Kamenne Zehrovice we all go trudging down to
                the lake and release carp, along with with little candles in
                walnut-shells...into the tree-veined misty void...

                Anyway, here's hoping the pagans amongst us have a totally cool Yule
                while all you judeochristians out there, you just have yourselves a
                really swell Christmas and/or Shenanigans.

                And now it's Christmas puzzle time again:

                The Mysterious Case of "Good King" Wenceslas (continued).

                Good King Wenceslas looked out
                On the Feast of Stephen
                When the snow lay 'round about
                Deep and crisp and even
                Brightly shone the moon that night
                Though the frost was cruel
                When a poor man came in sight
                Carrying winter fuel

                "Hither, page, and stand by me,
                If thou know'st it, telling
                Yonder peasant, who is he?
                Where and what his dwelling?"
                "Sire, he lives a good league hence,
                Underneath the mountain
                Right against the forest fence
                By Saint Agnes' fountain."

                "Bring me flesh and bring me wine
                Bring me pine-logs hither
                Thou and I shall see him dine
                When we bear them thither."
                Page and monarch, forth they went
                Forth they went together
                Through the rude wind's wild lament
                And the bitter weather.

                "Sire, the night is darker now
                And the wind blows stronger
                Fails my heart, I know not how
                I can go no longer."
                "Mark my footsteps, good my page
                tread thou in them boldly
                Thou shalst find the winter's rage
                Freeze thy blood less coldly."

                In his master's step he trod
                Where the snow lay dinted
                Heat was in the very sod
                Which the Saint had printed
                Therefore, Christian men, be sure
                Wealth or rank possessing
                Ye, who now will bless the poor
                Shall yourselves find blessing.

                Can anybody answer the questions that I first posed last year on this
                list?

                1. Why did the peasant walk over 4.83 kilometres through one of the
                most densely forested areas in Central Europe allegedly in search of
                wood?

                2. Why did "King" Wenceslas and his sidekick carry pine logs? Ash
                and chestnut were traditionally used as fuel in Bohemia; pine logs
                splutter and spit dreadfully when set alight.

                --- In Czechlist@y..., "slavka kellnerova" <skellnerova@h...> wrote:
                >We can change the time – what about a half past six? And first
                meeting – first Thursday next year (January 3rd )?

                OK by me.

                M.
              • slavka kellnerova
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 23, 2001
                  Yes, Tlusta Koala is in Senovazna 8. Thank you Tom. We can change the time �
                  what about a half past six? And first meeting � first Thursday next year
                  (January 3rd )?

                  I am looking forward to meeting you there.

                  Slavka

                • tomas_barendregt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 23, 2001
                    --- In Czechlist@y..., "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@d...> wrote:
                    > What? My cue? Oh right:

                    Melvyn, you sure know your cues when you see them! Denverites spend
                    Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa just trying to make sure they do not wish
                    the wrong thing to the wrong person (is my buddy who came here from
                    Turkey but grew up in Germany celebrating? will me colleagues at work
                    who haul from Taiwan even take any time off? how 'bout my Jewish
                    neighbors...) One perfectly cross-cultural and supra-denominational
                    thing to do is to SHOP and we do plenty of it.

                    Also popular are light displays (in the zoo and the botanical gardens
                    here there are hundreds of thousands of lights) because it seems that
                    everyone from pagans to Christian hardliners may translate this time
                    of year into the celebration of light (and its return).

                    Tom
                  • Rubková
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
                      Tom,
                      thank you for your information. As you can see it is possible not knowing
                      where some place is. You have to realise that not all Czech pubs have their
                      page on Internet.

                      Sarka

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
                        Sorry, I cannot come because I am not in Prague.

                        Sarka

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2002
                          --- In Czechlist@y..., Rubková <rubkova@l...> wrote:
                          > Sorry, I cannot come because I am not in Prague.
                          >
                          > Sarka

                          Some other time then maybe. I will be at the Tlusta Koala from about
                          6 pm, "calamities" permitting.

                          Melvyn
                        • ottop1
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
                            > Some other time then maybe. I will be at the Tlusta Koala from
                            about
                            > 6 pm, "calamities" permitting.

                            I hope to be able to come, either. However, I'll know for sure only
                            in the afternoon.

                            Otto
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2002
                              Same with me. Martin
                              > Some other time then maybe. I will be at the Tlusta Koala from
                              about
                              > 6 pm, "calamities" permitting.

                              I hope to be able to come, either. However, I'll know for sure only
                              in the afternoon.

                              Otto

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com