Re: [Czechlist] Re: Sanacni (was TERMS)

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 12, 2001
      In a message dated 12/12/01 8:30:11 AM, zehrovak@... writes:

      >So don't you ever have problems with rising damp over there or rather
      >with damp-proofing companies making a packet out of claiming you have
      >rising damp? :)

      We have rising moisture and moisture-proofing companies. "Damp" is an
      adjective, and it sounds strange to me used as a noun.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 12, 2001
        Whatever you call it, Melvyn and Jamie,

        houses in your respective countries definitely have problems with it,
        despite what that quote of Melvyn says.

        And I dont think one needs a surveyor to know, if your plaster and paint are
        flaking and falling off the wall, or there's green stuff on it, you've got
        the problem, I've got it in places in my house in Prague (1920's).

        Newer houses should be well insulated against ground moisture/dampness (?),
        but everything's possible in England and America, I saw some very poorly
        constructed houses in both countries, not that we don't have them, but at
        least we don't pretend that houses will "heat themselves up" by themselves
        or from one tiny fireplace downstairs and we generally slap a bit of
        insulation wherever it needs to go, that's for new structures...

        Old houses (before they had modern bitumen and plastic insulation) sometimes
        used slate sheets inserted into the wall above foundations (footings for
        M.), but slate breaks as the house moves, and it isn't perfect to start
        with, it won't cover the entire wall cross-section at places and has to be
        joined.....

        Hapy moisture and damp - free day.

        Matej

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 12, 2001
          > > So don't you ever have problems with rising damp over there or
          > > rather with damp-proofing companies making a packet out of
          > > claiming you have rising damp? :)
          >
          > We have rising moisture and moisture-proofing companies. "Damp"
          > is an adjective, and it sounds strange to me used as a noun.

          According to my information, Melvyn got a response to his message within 1
          minute 48 seconds of sending it. That must be a Czechlist record!

          Simon