TERM: w/w, etc.

  • Irena Steinerova
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2001
      Hi all,
      I have come accross the following "cryptical" text:

      (<0,1% benzene alt<3% (w/w) DMSO extract (IP 346)).

      Can anybody enlighten me as to what "alt" and "w/w" stand for?

      The preceding sentence is:

      "The petroleum naphtha (petroleum distillate) lubricating oil meet the
      requirements for not being classified as carcinogenic"

      Many thanks!
      Irena
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2001
        w/w stands for weight/weight, vahova procenta, to remain as is.
        As to alt, can that be something like alternate (benzen or equivalent
        agents)? Just guessing.

        HIH

        > I have come accross the following "cryptical" text:
        >
        > (<0,1% benzene alt<3% (w/w) DMSO extract (IP 346)).
        >
        > Can anybody enlighten me as to what "alt" and "w/w" stand for?
        > =
        > The preceding sentence is:
        >
        > "The petroleum naphtha (petroleum distillate) lubricating oil meet the
        > requirements for not being classified as carcinogenic"
        >
        > Many thanks!
        > Irena

      • Simon Vaughan
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2001
          Greets and Gabon, Irena and Martin!

          > w/w stands for weight/weight,...

          'Weight for weight', (completely) in words.

          > As to alt, can that be something like alternate (benzen or
          > equivalent agents)?

          What you mean is 'alternative'; 'alternate' means 'kazdy druhy' or
          'stridavy'. AFAIK, 'alt.' can stand for pretty much any derivative of
          'alter', but I don't know which is meant in the present context.

          Simon