Help needed!

  • Baxter
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2000
      Hi, there!

      Does anybody here have any idea where I could find online versions of any American slang glossaries/dictionaries?
      All those nasty words, etc.

      Just imagine:
      What if I'd come up to some American here in Prague and start asking something like:
      "Excuse me, please. Don't you by some chance happen to know what the word "......" means?"
      8o))
      That would be fun!!!

      Erdni Charmandjiev

      P.S. It's not for my personal usage, of course. 8o)
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2000
        >Just imagine:
        >What if I'd come up to some American here in Prague and start asking
        >something like:
        >"Excuse me, please. Don't you by some chance happen to know what the
        >word "......" means?"
        >8o))
        >That would be fun!!!

        Why not? I learned most of my Czech obscenities from friends and
        students at the pub. Since slang and obscenities evolve so quickly,
        slang dictionaries tend to be out-of-date as soon as they're printed.
        And of course you've always got us!

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (817) 514-6413
      • Baxter
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2000
          > >Just imagine:
          > >What if I'd come up to some American here in Prague and start asking
          > >something like:
          > >"Excuse me, please. Don't you by some chance happen to know what the
          > >word "......" means?"
          > >8o))
          > >That would be fun!!!
          >
          > Why not? I learned most of my Czech obscenities from friends and
          > students at the pub. Since slang and obscenities evolve so quickly,
          > slang dictionaries tend to be out-of-date as soon as they're printed.
          > And of course you've always got us!
          >
          > Michael

          Thanks, Michael. Just name the pub. 8o))
        • Melvyn Clarke
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2000
            > >Just imagine:
            > >What if I'd come up to some American here in Prague and start asking
            > >something like:
            > >"Excuse me, please. Don't you by some chance happen to know what the
            > >word "......" means?"
            > >8o))
            > >That would be fun!!!

            Hi Erdni,

            Try http://www.sonic.net/maledicta

            - a bizarre site with some erudite articles on the dark side of linguistics
            such as these:

            American Insults
            Taxonomy of Metaphoric Insults
            Our Strongest Taboo Word
            Etymology of Broad
            C�line and the Language of Hate
            Nicknames for Universities, Cities,
            Sarcastic Questions
            Onomastic Questionnaire
            Aggression in Children's Jokes
            Xenophobic Ethnica
            Coital Vulgarisms
            Analysis of a Four-Letter Word
            Futuristic Name-Calling
            Onomastics of Black Rabble
            Psychological Research with Dirty
            Words
            English Sexual Cursing
            Keeks, Kikes, Kooks & Courr�ges
            Roman Graffiti
            French Pederasts' Dialog
            Black Excremental Poetry
            Taboo Trade Names
            Ethnic Slurs in US English
            Greek Fist-Phallus Gestures
            California Indian Insults
            Canadian Slurs
            Dingbats: Symbolic Euphemisms
            Genital Pet Names
            Condom Trade Names
            Preadolescent Obscene Talk
            Suggestive Song Titles
            Kinks & Queens: Gay Lingo
            Photocopy Humor
            Menomini Indian Glossary
            Anti-Clerical Limericks
            Lexicography of Cock
            Usage of 121 Dirty Words
            Repulsive Menus
            Doctors' Slurs of Patients
            Ethnic Slurs by Food Preference
            Twisted Proverbs
            Spoonerisms
            Teenagers' Jokes & Riddles
            Smegma in Dictionaries
            History of Sexual Cruising
            Glossary of Fart Euphemisms
            Gay Ingroup Insults
            Sexual Intercourse Euphemisms
            Censorship by Dictionary Makers
            Decline and Fall of Lady
            Nasty Riddles & Naughty Wordplays
            Is George Bush a Wimp or a Preppy?
            Name-Calling Made Easy
            Ethnic Slurs in U.S. English
            Thomas Crapper's WC
            Poetic Copulation Euphemisms
            Slang of Prostitutes, Homosexuals,
            Pedophiles, Flagellators, Transvestites,
            and Necrophiliacs
            The Pronunciation of Cunnilingus in
            Dictionaries
            Dictionary Definitions of Sodomy,