RE: [Czechlist] Re: Automatic translation on Google

  • Dominik Lukes
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
      > And no computer translation program can translate a sentence
      > like, "He saw
      > that gasoline can explode," or, "The chickens are ready to eat."
      The comercial one's can't but there are some in development that address
      these issues. It will never be perfect but it's doable with good parsing
      improved by stochastic approaches. The problem is with idioms and
      collocations. How do you translate several simple sentences like 'Schumacher
      zavod nedojel.' vs. 'Vcera jsem si nedojel pro vajicka.' vs. 'To auto uz
      nedojelo domu.' The only way you can automate such translations is by
      including human knowledge of the world, which you can't do yet.

      If you think about it, it is amazing how little the machine translators can
      do. The whole field started in Canada where they wanted to translate weather
      forecasts from English to French. As far as I know, they still only get
      about 97% right (after 30 years). Which means an error in every other
      paragraph - enough to get you fired...

      Dominik